Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Who can ID this plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Who can ID this plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 07:37 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Who can ID this plane?

Who can identify this plane by this picture alone?

Oh, I know what it is, because I am building it from a set of downloaded plans. Just wondering who recognizes this old bird.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:32 AM
Outrider6

How about now? Surely, some old timers recognize this plane from about 30 years ago.

The easy part is just about done. Next is the difficult part. Double-tapered wing, and I only have a root and one other rib template on the plans. The other rib that I mentioned is #3 or #4, and not the tip rib, so the figuring gets pretty tough, with no reference on one end.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:02 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry for the wrong guess

Last edited by init4fun; 03-30-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:34 PM
Outrider6

Sorry, but nope. Mine is an r/c plane.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:34 PM
SNARLACLES
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morris hobbies TOP CAP. That's a grail find!
Old 04-13-2024, 03:27 AM
Outrider6

Originally Posted by SNARLACLES
Morris hobbies TOP CAP. That's a grail find!
BINGO!

I am building it from just a set of downloaded plans. The only really difficult part was figuring out the ribs, which was made extra difficult because the wing is double-tapered.

The wing is almost finished, then I have to build the ailerons, then cover it. I used to own a H9 33% Cap, and I am thinking of using that color scheme on this Top Cap, to honor the big one, which was my favorite plane of all time. Or I may do a unique color scheme. Or the original Top Cap scheme. I am undecided on that.

But it will fly with my Saito .62.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:58 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Locally we have had a minor renaissance in profile planes. They have been larger than the old designs, running 15-30 cc engines and even an electric with about and 80 inch span.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:30 AM
SNARLACLES

Originally Posted by Outrider6
BINGO!

I am building it from just a set of downloaded plans. The only really difficult part was figuring out the ribs, which was made extra difficult because the wing is double-tapered.

The wing is almost finished, then I have to build the ailerons, then cover it. I used to own a H9 33% Cap, and I am thinking of using that color scheme on this Top Cap, to honor the big one, which was my favorite plane of all time. Or I may do a unique color scheme. Or the original Top Cap scheme. I am undecided on that.

But it will fly with my Saito .62.
Got any pics of your larger yak?
IMO, and it'and probably just me...I do t really like the cap scheme that morris did, maybe if it was done in other colors?
I probably owned every 40 size and smaller morris profile kit except the Top cap. Your build looks very nice.
looking forward to seeing the final pictures
Old 04-13-2024, 07:46 AM
Outrider6

Originally Posted by SNARLACLES
Got any pics of your larger yak?
IMO, and it'and probably just me...I do t really like the cap scheme that morris did, maybe if it was done in other colors?
I probably owned every 40 size and smaller morris profile kit except the Top cap. Your build looks very nice.
looking forward to seeing the final pictures
This is the only pic of my previous Cap that I could find, from around 20 years ago. I had a BME 105 in it, and the performance was phenomenal. I also found several pictures of that scheme on the internet, to also use as a reference, if I do that scheme.

I could also do the Morris scheme, but with yellow/white/black, which I did on the GB Ultimate that I just finished building from plans. The scheme is gorgeous (the white outline for the black, especially), but I have a serious CG problem with that plane, that I have to work out.

I built a few Morris planes in the past. The only 2 I recall are the Pen Knife and Knife. I still have the plans for the little one, so I may build it later.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:51 PM
SNARLACLES

Here's an arf I did back in the 90s, it was solid white, alot of wrinkles. Got the wrinkles out with a heat gun, did that cap scheme but used red and orange

Last edited by SNARLACLES; 04-14-2024 at 05:34 AM.