Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BajaHobby L39

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BajaHobby L39

Old 02-18-2020, 01:05 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not using Dualsky. I'm using Baja servos.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:18 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
I'm not using Dualsky. I'm using Baja servos.
That was my point. i saw your build page and noticed that you are using Bajahobby servo's, not the same ones that come in the plug and play jets.. The PNP L39 comes with Dualsky ds8950 servo's from what I understand from Peter. I was just trying to clear up the confusion with Todd when he asked you about how you like the servo's.
Tone
Old 02-18-2020, 05:21 AM
Todd D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the Dualsky's 8950's elev, flap, rudder and I think Peter said 8611 on the ailerons
Old 02-18-2020, 09:51 AM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by Todd D
Yes the Dualsky's 8950's elev, flap, rudder and I think Peter said 8611 on the ailerons
That is correct Todd. According to Peter, Lior had one of the early kits before they decided on servos.
All L39’s pnp comes with the dualsky. His and Peter's were the first two L39’s outside of China. They had not confirmed what servos was going to be used in the pnp at that time. Peter told me that he actually liked the dualsky servos and he may not even going to continue my own Baja servo line.

Apparently he has a customer in California has already put over 50 flights on the L39’s with the dualsky servos. They been flying it hard and it's working great.
Tone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLYZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-18-2020, 11:10 AM
Todd D

Tone, Peter sent me those videos during his sales pitch. He also sent me a couple more but they aren't the correct file type so they won't post here.

Todd
Old 03-07-2020, 07:39 AM
Todd D

Tone, Peter sent me those videos during his sales pitch. He also sent me a couple more but they aren't the correct file type so they won't post here.

Todd
Tone, If I can get them to load I'll post a few shots of the L39 coming out of the box. First impression is really good, fit and finish are excellent. I've identified a couple small items that I will want to change a bit but nothing major with the airframe. Here's a few shots.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:43 AM
Todd D

Old 03-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Todd D

Old 03-07-2020, 09:15 AM
Agrav8ed

That's pretty awesome. When did you receive yours? I'm still waiting for mine to ship. I'm curious, what did you see that you would like to change?
Tone
Old 03-07-2020, 09:48 AM
i3dm

looking good Todd!
can you show some photos of how the strut covers are attached to the struts?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Todd D

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
That's pretty awesome. When did you receive yours? I'm still waiting for mine to ship. I'm curious, what did you see that you would like to change?
Tone
Tone, I got it from greyhound earlier this week. It took about a week to get to Milwaukee from California. Things to change, I have a powerbox mercury that I’m going to put in instead of the dualsky powerpanel. One of the doors in the nose section does not close quite right, they are held closed by a strong magnet that hits a steel target. Looks like the target is off just a bit so I’ll just move the target and it should be fine.
I’m going to swap out the servos on the primary control surfaces to my preferred brand just because I’m picky with that. I’ve messed around with assembling the tail, it’s very straight forward and if someone needed to remove the tail surfaces for transport it’s basically two screws and a plug to take them off.
The light system is all installed but there isn’t a light on the tail, so I’m going to put one in there too. So far I’m pretty happy. I have a plane in the shop that I’m finishing up for a friend that should be done this week then this one moves
in for 100% of my attention.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Todd D

Originally Posted by i3dm
looking good Todd!
can you show some photos of how the strut covers are attached to the struts?
Lior, looks like they are attached using a wood block glued to the strut. The doors are screwed to the block using four screws.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:55 AM
Agrav8ed

Glad yours came in. It looks great. How are the dualsky servo's overall? Did the kit come with aluminum servo horns. I have been waiting for months for mine and chomping at the bit at this point. Sucks that this virus is affecting so many people, regardless of it affecting the hobby.
Tone
Old 03-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Todd D

Tone, The Dualsky servos will be fine for the doors and flaps. Pete says there are many planes out there using them just fine. Yes all the servos on the control surfaces have aluminum horns. I'm sure the delay with the shipment is frustrating. Hopefully things will begin moving soon and there will be a medical discovery to help clear things up otherwise we may be dealing with CoVid19 for quite sometime. .
Old 03-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Agrav8ed

Tone, The Dualsky servos will be fine for the doors and flaps. Pete says there are many planes out there using them just fine. Yes all the servos on the control surfaces have aluminum horns. I'm sure the delay with the shipment is frustrating. Hopefully things will begin moving soon and there will be a medical discovery to help clear things up otherwise we may be dealing with CoVid19 for quite sometime. .
Out of curiousity, which servo's are you planning on using in their place?
thanks,
Tone
Old 03-07-2020, 03:04 PM
Todd D

Looking at Savox 1270TG
Old 03-07-2020, 09:06 PM
i3dm

Looking at Savox 1270TG
have a look at some of the new AR servos. those are awesome.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Todd D

Ended up ordering MKS HV 777 servos for the control surfaces.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:46 PM
Agrav8ed

Ended up ordering MKS HV 777 servos for the control surfaces.
I like those servos. I have them on my big Viper. Make sure you use good wire extensions though. MKS servo's can sometimes get jittery with long servo extension wires.
Tone
Old 03-13-2020, 06:27 PM
Todd D

Thanks for the tip, I plan to use the extensions currently installed in the jet but will change them if needed.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:40 PM
Todd D

Today I moved the L-39 into the shop. I weighed all the parts that arrived in the box. Total weight came out at exactly 30 lbs. Yet to be installed is the turbine and batteries. So maybe around 35 lbs dry is possible. I also measured the fuel tank capacity. There are 2 tanks installed, the smaller one is marked 1500cc so 50 ounces. The large tank is not marked so I filled and measured, came out at 115 ozs. Total of 165 for the main tanks and looks like about 8 or maybe 10 in the UAT.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Agrav8ed

Today I moved the L-39 into the shop. I weighed all the parts that arrived in the box. Total weight came out at exactly 30 lbs. Yet to be installed is the turbine and batteries. So maybe around 35 lbs dry is possible. I also measured the fuel tank capacity. There are 2 tanks installed, the smaller one is marked 1500cc so 50 ounces. The large tank is not marked so I filled and measured, came out at 115 ozs. Total of 165 for the main tanks and looks like about 8 or maybe 10 in the UAT.
which turbine are you planning on running in it? Any plans on using smoke?
How are you making out on the adjustments you mentioned?
Thanks,
Tone

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 03-16-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:38 PM
Todd D

Well I was planning K140 for power but thinking for the extra $200 I'm going to go K160. I'll have to monitor fuel consumption and possible implement a start tank. There's plenty of room for more fuel tanks on board but weight of more fuel? Not planning to go with smoke right away but maybe later.
I fixed the minor front hatch door closing issue in about 5 minutes. No big deal.
The L39 has gear doors closed after the gear down cycle. The landing light on the nose gear strut was in the the way of the door closing so I moved it down the strut closer to the wheel. Also when closing the door with the strut extended the door hit the strut a little bit. Minor sanding with the dremel took care of that. That's all I've really done so far. The nose gear extends and retracts smoothly.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:17 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're planning on flying off of grass i think you'll need a 160.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Todd D

Joe - yeah 160 it is, even though the grass field I fly off of is manicured like a fairway, a 140 would get it in the air no problem, but yeah, 160.

So I had a small issue with the JP gear/door controller. From the factory the controller is set to keep the doors open with struts down. The instructions for the controller online were little help so I emailed JP Hobbies. I was pleasantly surprised when I received a response in less than 24 hours that included clear instructions on how to change the programming to close the doors with gear down. I performed the programming sequence and it worked straight away so happy with that. The gear controller is wired direct to one of the battery leads for power, I'll put a switch in that line so I can disable the gear controller between flights without having to disconnect the batteries while at the field. An extension is included for the signal from the receiver where the positive wire is cut as it's not needed.

Here's the instructions to change the gear door controller from V1 to V2.

There are 3 program "MODE" buttons, one for each door that have to be programmed. The sequence is the same for each one.
-provide power to the controller (no need for signal from the receiver)
NOTE that the doors will cycle during this sequence if the extensions are plugged in so make sure they have clearance.
-Press the MODE button for 3 seconds for door one
-when the "A" LED flashes press MODE button again 3 times quickly
-press the + or - button to select the "D" led. (it will stay lit) D LED is doors closed, C LED is doors remain open.
-wait 3 seconds for the program cycle to clear itself.
-repeat the process for the other 2 doors.
After doing the sequence for each door, I powered up the RX and cycled the gear one time and the doors closed when the struts were extended like they are supposed to, and closed when the gear is up.

Here's a link to the instructions that they post on their web site, some information is useful. : JP Multifunctional controller instructions

Last edited by Todd D; 03-17-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.