Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
LOL! I had my airspeed turned on. It is repeating, "Zero miles per hour."
Ok cool
Old 12-04-2019, 04:35 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rbtgold
Hello Gang. I am interested in purchasing a new 2.2 Predator (via PilotRC usa) and would like to hear some flight reports/ quality/ set up. (I've heard a few instances about possible tip stalling which has spooked me !!!??). I'd appreciate any input.
Thank you
Robert in Milwaukee
See my post above yours. Only real quality issue I had. I would land and the wings would be slightly separated from the fuse. It's like you can't get the clamps tight enough. I did that mod to aid the original design, not replace it, It works.
For the price, the Predator 2.2 is hard to beat. I have a 170 in mine and power is just about perfect. I wouldn't go less. But I like speed and pretty much 1:1 thrust at take off.
If you put crow in the ailerons tip stalling becomes very hard. As was said, though, any jet can tip stall. IMO, the predator is a non-issue in this regard. I love mine.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:40 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by basimpsn
I now have a couple of flight on my predator 2.2m...I find no bad tendency but I do notice a tip stall at very very low speed close to landing but was easily control with aileron. Another thing...It's a power hungry airframe...I have a k210 sometime at full power and you wouldn't notice it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpVpKRwwOw8
@5:26 tip stall controllable with right aileron.
I know it was just the maiden, but that looked like you landed with take-off flaps. More flaps will help. I'm around 50-55 degrees I think. Also, 5mm-1/4" of crow in the ailerons works wonders at preventing tip stalling.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:43 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Todd D
I just sold my Elan to a flying buddy. Looking for my next jet and I'm thinking this is it. I read through the entire thread last night and it appears the only negatives are the issue with the finish, which isn't a deal breaker at all. Oh, I forgot about the bent wing tube, has this been resolved by Pilot RC in the latest shipments? Anyone have concerns about the landing gear operations?? Thanks!
Newer jets come with a thicker wing tube. Have you seen Martin Pickering's video? Flew it harder than most ever will and it is 100% stock, even stock servos.
I ended up installing a carbon fiber inner tube in mine. No issues. No issues with the gear either.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:20 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks
I know it was just the maiden, but that looked like you landed with take-off flaps. More flaps will help. I'm around 50-55 degrees I think. Also, 5mm-1/4" of crow in the ailerons works wonders at preventing tip stalling.
You're right..I did land with takeoff flaps only because of the maiden flight and high trees close to the runway..but now using full flaps on landing. I will try using more flaps to see how much I can slow this jet down😇

Last edited by basimpsn; 12-04-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:19 AM
airborn900
My Feedback: (25)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by basimpsn
You're right..I did land with takeoff flaps only because of the maiden flight and high trees close to the runway..but now using full flaps on landing. I will try using more flaps to see how much I can slow this jet down😇
I used as much flap as I could get. I don’t use crow. If you come off the power early enough it will slow down very nice. My gps had me touching down between 25 and 30 mph with no indication of pending stall. This is a very stable airframe.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:46 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As my first turbine powered jet I can’t complain. The Jet is like a big trainer. It’s very stable in the air and very forgiving specially at slow speed with full flaps and a little bit of crow the airplane seems to lock in. For the price you can’t beat it. I have the 2.2 with a P200 jetcat.

Last edited by [email protected]; 12-05-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:43 PM
a25afm

Anyone else having issues with the Pilot RC gear controller? It seems to work fine with the transmitter but when I try the test button it works intermittently. I read the manual. I know it only works when the receiver is turned off.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:22 PM
bodywerks

No real problem with mine. there is a different press you have to do to retract vs extend, I know that. I just hold down the button until i hear it beep, and if the gear doesn't do what I expected, I push it again. One way or another, it ends up doing what I want it to. It's really a nice controller for being included(beats JP controllers by a mile!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:32 PM
bodywerks

My friends at Flightreviewz caught video of me screwing around with my SW170b-powered Predator. This is only flights 8-9. Still getting used to it, but i LOVE this jet!
Old 02-09-2020, 04:21 PM
airborn900

I tried a little reflex on my ailerons with full flaps this weekend seemed to help (I have a 210in my mine and it doesn’t like to slow down). How much are you guys using, I am at about 15 degrees.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:17 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by airborn900
I tried a little reflex on my ailerons with full flaps this weekend seemed to help (I have a 210in my mine and it doesn’t like to slow down). How much are you guys using, I am at about 15 degrees.
Not sure about degrees, but it's about 5/16" of up aileron as measured at the outboard edge of the aileron. You can see how well it works in the landing at the end of the video above. it basically requires you to maintain a positive AOA on short final, and descent rate, even final flare, is a function of throttle instead of elevator.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 PM
a25afm

I plan on reflex also. Mine is just about ready to fly. It has a Kingtech 210. Do you carry power all the way to touchdown?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:16 PM
airborn900

Originally Posted by a25afm
I plan on reflex also. Mine is just about ready to fly. It has a Kingtech 210. Do you carry power all the way to touchdown?
currently I do not. Maybe with more reflex I’ll have to.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:23 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by a25afm
I carry some power to the runway. I am constantly modulating it, basically using it as my elevator to control rate of descent. Last foot of altitude is usually a function of elevator for me(the flare).
Old 02-09-2020, 10:37 PM
a25afm

How did you set your CG? How much up elevator trim for level flight? Any elevator trim needed for flap deployment?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:06 PM
bodywerks

My CG is a little forward, even though it's at the back of the recommended range. Completely dry, it will barely stay in a wheelie on it's own. I estimate CG to be about 280mm back at the wing root. Every Predator I have seen carries a bit of up trim for level flight, like 3/32" at the inbd trailing edge of the elevator. However, it does not feel very noseheavy in flight, in that inverted only requires slight forward pressure, and KE requires very little down elevator mix.
Flap trim is minimal. I have my flaps on my flight mode switch, and my trims to follow flight modes. It does not require much down elevator at all. I think, off memory, maybe 1/8" down ele from the 3/32" up trim it has in flight, for both take-off and landing flaps(my crow is only for landing flaps and negates some of the typical tendency to climb, which is probably why there is little trim change).
Old 02-10-2020, 12:36 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Guys, Are anyone of you going to Coachella Jet Jam this weekend? Looking forward to see you all flying the Predator 2.2. I just play some catch up in this forum. This plane would land much better with crow setup on ailerons, especially for guys who stick big engine into it. The residual thrust at idle coupled with big flaps and crow at high angle would let you do a nice two wheelie landing all day long. Really nice flyer. I am going to try the 1.8 later this month. Mike
Old 02-10-2020, 03:00 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by mikedenilin
Hi Guys, Are anyone of you going to Coachella Jet Jam this weekend? Looking forward to see you all flying the Predator 2.2. I just play some catch up in this forum. This plane would land much better with crow setup on ailerons, especially for guys who stick big engine into it. The residual thrust at idle coupled with big flaps and crow at high angle would let you do a nice two wheelie landing all day long. Really nice flyer. I am going to try the 1.8 later this month. Mike
I'll be there with the predator you sold me! Did you catch my video of it a few posts up?
The following users liked this post:
CRX Turbines (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:08 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice video and flight. I want to see that at Coachella. I am flying a Sparrow with Jetcat 180Rxi now. Look forward to see you there. Mike
bodywerks (02-10-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 06:42 AM
bodywerks

Got 8 more flights on the predator at Coachella jets. I added a 10% reverse differential mix to get the rolls more on axis and it worked perfectly. Hopefully one of the two videography companies caught some of the flights!
It's time to do some maintenance. The left brake is locking up, and I think the fuel system needs gone through, as the uat comes down with more air in it than I'd like.

Balou88 (01-11-2021)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:06 PM
airborn900

Got 8 more flights on the predator at Coachella jets. I added a 10% reverse differential mix to get the rolls more on axis and it worked perfectly. Hopefully one of the two videography companies caught some of the flights!
It's time to do some maintenance. The left brake is locking up, and I think the fuel system needs gone through, as the uat comes down with more air in it than I'd like.
very nice. Reverse differential means more throw on the aileron that is down? I have been wanting to play with that.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:07 PM
bodywerks

Yes. Being a top-hinged aileron, the control surface area of the aileron diminishes as it travels down, so you need more travel to have the same affect.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:04 AM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

... and I think the fuel system needs gone through, as the uat comes down with more air in it than I'd like.
Nevermind, I remember no you already had this issue, sorry for spam.

FWIW, mine did this after about 100 flights eventually causing a flameout. Found a very small pin-hole leak between the tank and the UAT, running on the ground at high throttle settings I could see a small stream of bubbles coming up from the floor of the UAT. I ended up installing a BVM HF UAT and drilling a hole in the floor of the integrated UAT to connect its volume with the rest of the tank. The floor of the UAT is glued in and the glue seems to break down - this may or may not be an issue with yours.

Last edited by dccatl; 02-18-2020 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:16 AM
bodywerks

I bypassed the uat and installed an intairco. There is either a restriction in the pick up line or it's not moving around in the tank properly, or if there's a piece of metal tubing between the clunk and the stopper, it might have a micro crack.
Thanks to Mike Lin, pilot sent me a new tank with new plumbing due to a faulty uat, so I'll start there.
Balou88 (01-11-2021)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.