Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The big RTR and 60mph+ lie/scam

Old 02-17-2020, 11:17 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The big RTR and 60mph+ lie/scam

I'm just venting a bit here. I have a real beef with manufacturers calling their kits RTR when 90% of them really aren't because you still need to buy batteries. To me it's false advertising. Logically if you need to buy something extra to make it run then it's not really ready straight out of the box. Call it ARTR (almost ready) but don't call it RTR. For example, if I want to buy a fullsize car and the seller says "yes it's ready to run, ready to go" and I get there and he tells me it needs a battery then obviously any sane person would call that NOT ready. It should be the same with rc. Same with all those 60mph+ top speed claims you see on the boxes and then you get one or go on youtube and in every single video review the vehicle can't get past 45mph unless you throw the thing off a cliff. I guess the manufacturers assume they can pull a fast one on their rc car customers because they assume they're all 13 year old boys who've never seen a pair of breasts and so don't know any better or are gullible enough to believe whatever garbage is printed on the box as long as the box is colorful.

Last edited by meowy84; 02-17-2020 at 11:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rgburrill (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 04:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Same goes for all the people on this site who advertise their planes for sale as RTF without transmitters, or even worse, receivers - THEY AREN'T RTF WITHOUT EVERYTHING.
meowy84 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:44 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep its getting close to that time of year been cooped up to long. Relax spring is just around the corner. LOL
meowy84 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 07:23 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

RTR = Ready To Re-assemble!

The joke is on anyone who chooses to buy a RTR anyway, they will end up buying twice and more than likely spend more money than if they bought a race grade kit which already includes all the upgrades in the first place... I always do a facepalm when folks ask "what's the best RTR and what upgrades are needed", only to replace all the electronics and spend nearly double the money on upgrades!

Many folks will spend more time rebuilding their RTR than if they would've built a kit, doh!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:05 PM
GHeliMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a look at the models you list in your signature. Interesting detail in the specs ... only 2mm thick ... BUT 7075 alloy. So, less weight and more rigidity using a stronger alloy. No doubt a number of other subtleties like machined/milled gears, cases, ... instead of cast. Any further informative reading on these details that make the difference?
Old 02-18-2020, 08:50 PM
bill_delong

Originally Posted by GHeliMax
Took a look at the models you list in your signature. Interesting detail in the specs ... only 2mm thick ... BUT 7075 alloy. So, less weight and more rigidity using a stronger alloy. No doubt a number of other subtleties like machined/milled gears, cases, ... instead of cast. Any further informative reading on these details that make the difference?
Thanks for taking the time to look them over, more info here:

Last edited by bill_delong; 02-18-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you guys agree. I don't feel like I'm crazy now. This all started because I got into an exchange with a kid at the hobby shop trying to get me into an RTR crawler. He said I'll also need a battery and charger. I said that without a battery it's really READY is it? He said it is because (insert-company-name) says it on the box. That's not logic. Just because some company writes RTR on the box doesn't make it so. If I urinate into a bottle and label it apple juice it doesn't make it apple juice. That analogy didn't go over well. Call it Almost-RTR if without a battery but don't call it RTR.

As for pre-built kits/RTR in general, it does take the guesswork out of buying all the components so it can work for beginners or returnees (like me!). But I doubt the guy or gal assembling the model in some sweatshop worries about snugging the screws just so. They might do it better than a 12 year old building his first model but not with the same care like you or me. Like Bill said: ready to reassemble.

Anyways, to summarize, the rc hobby is one of the most bullcrap ridden industries there is. So many ridiculous claims like: particle coated shocks for smooth action LOL. Yeah coated with particles of bull-crap. I realize all companies tend to stretch the truth to sell product but this is outright lies. The only other industry as bad is the makeup industry. This month oatmeal facial scrubs are the miracle and next month it's papaya oil in the shampoo that will make your wife or girlfriend look like a runway model. LOL

Thanks for letting me vent.

bill_delong (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:12 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can put a play on words any way you want. It's up to the consumer to choose the level of "readiness" they want and read the small print. "100% Assembled and Ready for your Battery and Charger" is common with RTRs. The same with claiming a remote control RC car/truck is "Ready -To -Race".
bill_delong (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:26 AM
bill_delong

I personally would rather select all my own electronics, the industry has made a shift from NiMh to LiPo making it very impractical to include batteries and chargers with RTR's going forward.
I take things a step farther because most RTR's come with plastic gear servos that need to be replaced with metal gear servos... only thing that might be worth keeping are sensorless systems, but many RTR's still come with brushed electronics which are better suited for NiMh, once you install a high powered LiPo then you risk burning up a stock brushed motor

I propose a shift toward a happy medium and would like to see more BTD out there, perhaps some way for folks to "cherry pick" what they want, but then why not simply buy a kit in the first place?
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-am...kit-p-ecx03034

I have also grown to appreciate some of the ARR (80% assembled) kits from HoBao too:
Home Page | HoBao Enterprising

What's lacking in the 80% kits are recommended electronics packages which is why I think so many people are drawn to the RTR concept instead. We need to figure out how to make things easier for new people to access information on each kit option.
GHeliMax (02-19-2020)