Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

World Models 33% ultimate

Old 06-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models 33% ultimate

Dork Blaster...Congratulations on getting the plane flying. I have mine mostly assembled. I have the 5735 servo in the same spot as yours. Did the 3" servo arms give you good throws?
I have a 5600 mah all the way up front for ignition and two 2400 mah up front close to the F1 former. Just ordered the Smartfly power expanded. Did you have to add weight to balance?

P.S. I think Dork Blaster hates flying wires..

Smokey
Old 06-02-2005, 12:32 AM
dork_blaster
My Feedback: (14)

Ronbo - not sure I'd recommend this ship for IMAC (unless they're still giving bonus points for bipes, but I don't think so). In my opinion a better IMAC ship would be an Extra 300 or similar monoplane. Also, some or most of the new 33% ships are set up for canisters (this one isn't) and I do know that QUIET scores you some additional points now. I haven't wrung this plane out enough to give you a definitive, but if I had to say it right now, this moment... nope on IMAC. I do have to mention, and Chip says this a lot about bipes... nothing slows down like a bipe with flying wires on a downline, which can be a big help on a lot of maneuvers.

Smokey - 5600mAh on ignition??? You could probably fly 30 or 40 times before you need to recharge! I can smack the elevators with my rudder, is that enough throw? And no, I didn't have to add any weight (unless you count the cans which are 12ozs. heavier than the in-cowl mufflers).

Forgot to mention - the color difference between the paint on the cowl and the covering on the fuse is hardly noticeable in bright sunlight (I have the red scheme, I'll try to post some pictures when I can).

I'm going to have nightmares about flying wires...

Happy flying all!

DB
Old 06-02-2005, 08:02 AM
dork_blaster

Couple/three things I forgot to add, as I mentioned in an earlier post the stock tail gear sucks. It went sloppy on me just testing it on the driveway before the first flight (the plastic tiller gets chewed up by the metal set screw that keeps it in place). I switched to a spare Ohio Superstar large sized tail gear I had laying around (flat spring steel, not the Haigh shown in the Aeroworks manual). I shortened it slightly and drilled a new mounting hole.

Secondly I replaced the metric blind nuts in the canopy with #4 All Threads (another Ohio Superstar product BTW), and used 4-40x1" stainless button heads instead of the 3mm crap that came with the kit. I've had too many blind nuts pop loose under a canopy as well as screws come out in flight. If you tap the All Thread 3/4 of the way, the screws don't back out. Did the same with the cowl.

DB
Old 06-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

ok, thanks. i did a sequence or 2 with the BME ultimate a friend had. except for spin and hammerhead, it felt very good. very crisp. just wanted some opinions as i love the ultimate. much more than the monoplanes.
and no, no extra points...
Old 06-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Smokey

Dork Blaster....I used the 5600mah battery more for useable nose weight. But i like the added benefit of not charging the battery for a long time. I have my rudder servo arm set at 2 1/2" right now. I will move it to 3". Have you had any problems with the flying wire rubbing against the alum. mount on the fuselage? I changed my tail bracket to a Graphtec carbon. I didnt like how the stock bracket looked.

Smokey
Old 06-03-2005, 10:47 AM
dork_blaster

Ronbo - I love bipes too! But I haven't seen many of them in IMAC, but I haven't been to many competitions yet either. I have 3 Ultimates now and I almost picked up the Hanger 9 46% this week but was able to resist the urge (daughter is getting married next week).... maybe the 50cc version...

Smokey - figured that's why you went with a big battery (more nose weight) I anticipated problems with the flying wires unravelling/scraping, etc. so I used a small black zip tie to keep them together (zipped as close to the aluminum bracket as possible) and covered the wire where it triple wraps on the bracket and the zip tie in thick CA and hit it with accelerator. Make sure you do this with the wires installed on the wings to keep them in proper position to minimize cracking the CA.

If you haven't bought the 3" arm yet, try your 2 1/2" first (it may still work). I have more than enough throw, and you're only talking 1/4" on each end difference. Only reason I went 3" is because I had it laying around!

Good luck and let us know when your ship is flying!

DB
Old 06-04-2005, 09:53 PM
dork_blaster

Some pictures the day she maidened.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34961.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	280438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47181.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	280439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66505.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	280440  
Old 06-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Smokey

Very nice looking plane. I wish i was done already. The control rods on my ailerons are too long. Gonna change them to titanium links. Got the Smartfly power expander installed today.

Smokey
Old 06-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Smokey

Does anybody know where i can get a dashboard for the ultimate at a cheap price. the one aeroworks sells is way too over priced.

Smokey
Old 06-15-2005, 08:29 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Hey everyone,

Whats the AUW weight of one of these? Also how many people have tried to 3d one of these? I lost my 33% Extra 260 and was thinking about getting one.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 AM
RustyTumbles

There's a guy at my club that flies one and I believe the AUW is around 24 pounds with smoke. He is using a 3w 75 for power. It 3d's very well although the verticle pull out from a hover is slow but other than that it is a great flying plane!!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:57 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

I was planning on using a DA 100 with no smoke. 24lbs with 2000 square inches of wing area would be an amazing plane.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Smokey, did you get your Ultimate finished yet? My buddy is buying my ZDZ 80 going with about the same setup as yours and we are dieing to hear a flight report. He sould be finihsed with his this month. How was it to balance with the ZDZ 80? Did you have to add any weight?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Smokey

Swat cop....unfortunately the bipe took a back burner to another project. I would say its over 90% done. I know i could finish it if i put a full days work on it. Just hard finding the time to do so. I did move everything as far foward as possible and bought a 4400 mah li-ion battery for the ignition and mounted it to the motor box. Wish i could be more help.

Smokey
Old 08-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Swat Cop

I know how that time thing goes. It took me three weeks to put a simple Funtana 90 together. I didn't even have time to fly for about a month. Keep us posted on it and if Victor finishes his first I will let you know how it goes.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Smokey

Lets see who finishes first..

Smokey
Old 08-05-2005, 06:50 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Just got my World Models Ultimate 33% in red, all I can say is" WOW " the packaging was great and the kit is beautiful not a wrinkle or dent any where. I plan to put a ZDZ 80 in the nose. I do have a question about the flying wires. Has any one flown this plane with out the flying wires ? I have noticed that other smaller and larger Ultimates do not use them.
Thanks.
jef
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 AM
dork_blaster

Figueroa - As much as I hate flying wires myself, don't fly this Ulti without them or modify it to do so. The cross tensioning provides an extra level of "stiffness" to the wings, and I know the wings weren't designed to be supported without the wires.

Everyone, on another subject - inspect the wooden washers used to hold the stab tube in place. Mine had sparse hot glue on them and worked loose on one side, causing the horizontal stabs to wobble quite a bit. You can use the elevator servo openings and/or cut an opening in the covering underneath the fuse to get at them for more glue. A b*tch to get at but it can be done. I bought some extra covering from WM (Toughlon Ferrarri Red) a while back because I knew I'd have to make repairs eventually.

Enjoy! Let us know how this thing balances with the ZDZ80.

DB
Old 08-05-2005, 01:11 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Thanks DB,
I was wondering if any one had tried flying with out the flying wires. Now that I look at the wings it does look like the flying wires are needed. I will have to put up with the task of rigging . By the way great job on your Ultimate. Can't wait to get mine in the air.
jef
[quote]ORIGINAL: dork_blaster

Figueroa - As much as I hate flying wires myself, don't fly this Ulti without them or modify it to do so. The cross tensioning provides an extra level of "stiffness" to the wings, and I know the wings weren't designed to be supported without the wires.

Everyone
Old 08-22-2005, 09:25 PM
dork_blaster

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

Hey everyone,

Whats the AUW weight of one of these? Also how many people have tried to 3d one of these? I lost my 33% Extra 260 and was thinking about getting one.
Finally got around to it, digital fish scale says 27 lbs 13 oz AUW. No CF anywhere (yet). Canisters added about a pound, but the LiPos probably saved me another 8-10 ozs.

Got about a dozen+ flights on her now. Got her balanced just a tiny bit aft of recommended, and she's not at all pitch sensitive on the elevators, in fact - wish I had more elevator and will move the CG ever so slightly more aft. She does a terrific blender, and hovers and torque rolls well when there's very little wind. Tried a few harriers/elevators and there's very little wing rock - but to be fair, I didn't have enough elevator to hold a decent harrier. Tried a wall and she didn't snap out of it, but again, need to see what more elevator will do. Can't do much else 3D-wise but I like it! Still have the 26x10 break in prop on her, will switch to a 27x10 MSC 2 blade when it gets here. If I had to do this plane over again, I would've made sure to get at LEAST 45-50 deg throw on the elevators. Wouldn't hurt to get a little more aileron either, but 40 deg is fine for what I do.

Ronbo - if you're still monitoring this thread, this ship will do great IMAC in zero to light wind. We get pretty gusty where I fly and it takes a lot of rudder for this ship to track a straight line. I finally got a chance to fly it in no wind and it was wonderful! If you have a good/great left thumb (assuming you fly the same mode) you will do fine in IMAC with this plane if there's a bit of wind.

Will post again on any weight savings I attempt and how she behaves with the new prop. She pulls out of hover "with authority" but at 27lbs 13 oz will not "rocket", yet!

Next up, waiting on my 34% Extra to arrive... but that's another thread!

Cheers all and happy flying!

DB
Old 08-23-2005, 11:53 AM
dork_blaster

ORIGINAL: dork_blaster
Had to cut an opening in the left side of the cowl for the spark plug on the ZDZ. I think a DA would fit more cleanly due to the angled spark plug. As much as I like ZDZ, if I had to do this again, I'd go DA.
I hate quoting myself, but I take that back after weighing my plane. The DA100 weighs more than a pound (1.1lbs) heavier than the ZDZ100. I would gladly trade a small spark plug hole in the pretty cowl for a pound of savings!!!

Now I'm having second thoughts about putting my DA100 in the new Extra I ordered... oh, well guess that's why God made carbon fiber and LiPos.

DB
Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Swat Cop

Or you could have gone with the BME 110 Xtreme, probably had to cut no holes at all, been lighter than either and had more pwer than the Da or ZDZ.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:27 PM
dork_blaster

ORIGINAL: Swat Cop

Or you could have gone with the BME 110 Xtreme, probably had to cut no holes at all, been lighter than either and had more pwer than the Da or ZDZ.
Dang - the 110X is about 2lbs lighter still than the DA, I might not be able to balance the plane without adding some lead! Definitely something I'd consider for my next 33% project after the Extra.

DB
Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Swat Cop

I have one on a 33% biplane and it is Bad *****. The best running engine I have ever had right out of the box, also the narrowest, lightest and most powerful in its class.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67073.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	314144  
Old 02-17-2020, 11:54 PM
deanblair

Default Ultimate

Originally Posted by dork_blaster
Thanks Smokey - hope it all helps in the end.

Here's the final canister install, next up is finishing the motor box, mount the motor, make the headers, mount the fuel tank, install the Powerbox and radio, install the throttle and choke servos, put it all together and fly it!

Note the offset in the cans (about 1/2in). This is because of the cylinder stagger of the engine. The right thrust reduces it slightly (more or less depending on how close or far you mount the cans). Since the nifty mounts from RC Showcase were mounted at an angle and flush against the wall rather than sitting on top of former, I added a small screw to keep the mount from rotating.

what length are those canisters ?