Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

World Models 33% ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:31 PM
J0E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models 33% ultimate

Lito, thanks for the info. Sounds like a good value plane! Can't wait to hear some flight reports.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:42 PM
LITO0815

Smokey...Yes,I will like to have those contact numbers or email address, very nice of you , thanks.

Joe...There is nothing I want more a this moment that put that plane in the air.But where I live we still have about 10" left.And we expect more tonight.It will be at least two more weeks for that snow to be gone.But for sure i will share the flight experience.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Lito.....Have you balanced the plane yet? Im wondering where all the electronics ended up on your plane. I figure that the rudder servo will be located at the tail for you. My plane gets here tomorrow. Im excited.

P.s. try this link for blackdirt.
http://www.blackdirtsquadron.org/

Smokey
Old 03-08-2005, 09:29 PM
LITO0815

Smokey.....Thanks for the link,I already send them an email, now I just wait.I didn't balance the plane yet.I have to work on the cowling, wheel pants and still waiting for some parts (new battery and the aluminum spinner).
I think I will have the plane completed Saturday or Sunday,I will let you know all the electronics that I used and where did I used them, and also how much is the final weight.

Lito.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 AM
dork_blaster
My Feedback: (14)

My World Models 33% Ultimate arrived this afternoon in 3 nicely packed boxes. All covering is tight, no sags, no apparent damage or defects. Paint on the cowl is top notch. If these are "rejects" the AW versions must be perfection, they put themselves together and you fly like Chip!

ZDZ100NG, cans and can mounts are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Stuff to make custom headers coming from Germany end of week (Amelung Modelbau).

Powerbox 40/24 will be coming some time next week (a little overkill, but I really like to have the same setup as my bigger planes). I had 2 spare 4000mAh (overkill again, I know) Duralite RX LiPo packs laying around, just sent them to the Florida factory for retrofit (conversion to the big honkin wire and connectors for the Powerbox). Using 2000mAh Duralite and 5.1V reg on ignition. I can fly almost all day on a single charge on my 40% planes with this setup.

Need to decide what included hardware I'll keep, or swap out for other (i.e. titanium pro-links, nylon or Robart hinges or use the included metal ones, etc.). Will more than likely go with a CF or aluminum spinner and skip the plastic one supplied.

Graphtech are going to make CF gear for this plane "in a few weeks", that'll hopefully be a post build upgrade, as will the smoke system.

It'll be a challenge to get the canisters in the fuse without major hacking. Need to think on that - unless someone out there has already done it! Let me know!

DB
Old 03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Smokey

Looking forward to the build info and final weight. I am contemplating using the smartfly expander box. Or i might just run everything off of one reciever like my 35% plane. 2 batteries. Probably li-ions to save weight.

Dork_blaster....let me know how much the graphtec gear is gonna cost and how much weight you saved. I might carbon everything on this plane. I like light planes.

Keep the info comming.

Smokey
Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 PM
haneydmd

I live in Aurora colorado occasionally fly with and talk to rocco frequently - this were not rejects! the issue was not quality but money. The original production contract was several years ago and production was slow. Prices have dropped dramatically for this size ARF and Aeroworks could not accept the shipments at the original price. They would have had to sell the planes at a significant loss at todays prices. The manufacturer refused to lower the price to aeroworks but instead elected to sell through their own distributer. Same plane, same quality, different stickers and they throw in a hardware pack. My plane should be into Aeroworks on Friday. Odd business, they would not sell to Rocco his own planes at a lower price but he can buy them from Airborne at a dealer price and make a little money from them that way and not have to do warranty work or stock parts.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 PM
LITO0815

Haneydmd,Thanks for the information.I guess that clear everything.

Lito.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:09 AM
dork_blaster
My Feedback: (14)

Smokey - I'm guessing the CF gear will be in the $60-$70 range (based on their existing stuff for 33% planes). I'm going to need to drop some weight as well since the cans will add almost a pound to the AUW.

Might go with CF tail gear too while I'm at it!

Just got the motor and cans. Still waiting on the exhaust header stuff. Build thread and pictures will start when I have everything I need.

haneydmd - thanks for clearing up the story, makes me feel more at ease!

Cheers all!

DB
Old 03-10-2005, 11:42 AM
haneydmd

There is a ton of misinformation out there. On the occasions I read something and then ask Rocco about it it is completely false or so one sided that it might as will be. Ive read guys claiming to be testing Aeroworks prototype clear across the country, its all done here and Rocco has never heard of these people. People that claim defective parts but then will not return them. Is the paint on that cowl bad or did you miscut it and are just trying to get a new one? Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Smokey

Lito...did you have to cut to length the motorbox side panels. Or is it already the right length for a DA?

Thanks
Froy
Old 03-13-2005, 06:59 PM
LITO0815

Froy...It was the right length for the DA. Have you stared your plane yet? How is your plane coming alone?

Lito.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Smokey

Lito. What is the length of the DA 100 from mounting point to spinner plate. I want to see what the difference is with a ZDZ 80. I think i have to add spacers. I have not had a chance to work or actually look at the plane. It was mailed to my friends house who lives 40 minutes away and I have not had the chance to look at it. I downloaded the WM manual and i like the aeroworks better. I did not know that the plane is not covered in monokote or ultracote but toughlon. How is the covering when you heated it. I want to add some more trim to the original. I will let you know when i get started on the plane.

Smokey
Old 03-14-2005, 09:27 PM
LITO0815

Froy...... The length of the DA is 6 1/2 in. from the mounting to the back of the spinne. My plane is done! and I just check the balance to find out that the plane is tail heavy(a lot).I'm going to need close to 3 pound of weight in the nose.The plane weight is 23 1/2 pounds,if I put 3 pound of weight then the plane is going to be to heavy.I gonna have to move the ruder servos from the tail to the canopy and use a pull pull system, and then check the balance again.Now I have to order the parts I need for the pull pull assembly(they going to take a week to get here).
About the covering the advertising said oracover, the manual said toughlon and AW said ultracote so I guess is toughlon like the manual said.I can tell you that is a low temperature film,My heat gun was to hot .I did have to use the iron in low temp.I also notice that the white covering hold a lot more heat than the color covering.

Lito
Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Smokey

Lito..The ZDZ is 1/2" shorter than the DA so i will have to use standoffs. I might make longer standoffs to move the cg forward more since you are still tail heavy. 23 1/2 lbs is great if you can get it to balance right. You might also consider using carbon fiber stab tube to help with the balance. Every little oz you take off the tail will lessen the weight you put on the nose. Can you still move the batteries forward? Do you have pictures of your installation yet. I would love to see them.

Smokey
Old 03-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Smokey

Just to let everyone know. I spoke to Graphtec a couple of days ago and i was told that they do not have the gear for the Ultimate. They are so busy that they dont even have any plans to produce it anytime soon. Somebody else make carbon gear for this plane?

Smokey
Old 03-17-2005, 05:14 PM
haneydmd

I Got in my ultimate several days ago and has several questions about it and went up to aeroworks at lunch to talk to Rocco. One of the question was about that heavy stock gear. I had noticed that my 33% extra gear was the same width height and angle as the stock gear but a different shape. When I asked rocco about it he recommended against CF gear, he stated that the plane needs the wieght up front and it likes to fly a little nose heavy for everday flying and is easy to move the wieght back for 3D. His has a DA 100 in his which he moved as far forward as the cowl allowed and still had to move all his batteries forward to get a good CG with servos in the rear. I'm using a 3W 100 ( not the real heavy older but not the newest lighter ones) and he still recommended moving the engine forward as far as possible and using the stock gear for more weight. He stated that everyday flying you'll need the wieght and if your going to do 3D and get the CG aft it will not do everyday nearly as well. Shorter coupled so tail weight turns the simple stuff harder to do clean. We are a mile high so power to weight is more important up here to get the performence we all want and Rocco flyies his with the stock gear and does not lack for power. For what it is worth hearing this from the horses mouth I am not in a hurry to get the CF gear.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:23 PM
LITO0815

Thanks for the info.

Lito.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:36 AM
haneydmd

More Info: also asked Rocco about the covering. He said that Oracover is Ultracoat and that these Ultimates we are getting are his last shipment that he did not accept they are still Ultracoat. Toughlon is the manufacturers cheaper brand of covering and he paid more to have his produced with Ultra. The fact that they list toughlon as a covering may be an indication that they plan to produce more of the model in the future but use their covering.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:43 AM
haneydmd

More Info: I'll have to check with Rocco again but when I first picked mind up he glanced at the manual to see how closely the had copied his. I wasn't paying that close attention, few other guys there talking, but I thought he said that their manual showed the gear on backwards. That the gear on the ultimates slants back not forwards. I've had a few Pitts but this is my first Ultimate. Ultimate guys did I hear right?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Smokey

Anybody finished their ultimate yet and worked out the balance issue? Please let us know where the radio and servo equipment ended up. Don't forget to mention what type of engine was used.

Thanks
Smokey
Old 03-26-2005, 06:47 AM
Goldie

Hi Smokey... The plane comes out extremely tail heavy using a DA100... That is with the rudder servos in the tail instead of a pull-pull system.... I needed to put ALL batteries up front in the engine box (2 2700 5-cell nickel medal and a 4 cell 1800) to get it to balance... also you should put in an additional 2 degress of "Up-thrust" in the engine.... Unfortunetly life keeps getting in the way here and I only have 3 flights on mine since it was finished back in Dec. Good Luck with it.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Smokey

Goldie...Thanks for the info. I assume you are using 2 servos for the rudder. I will have a bigger balancing issue since i will be using a ZDZ 80 which is a pound lighter. What physical size are your 2700 nimh pack? Are they AA or AAA size? I will move my engine a little more forward to help with the cg. Would you happen to have pictures of your installation?

Thanks
Smokey
Old 03-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

Yep, on the real ultimates, the gear is swept back.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:47 PM
wolfcbr2003
My Feedback: (18)

I think you all should call AW and talk to Rocco. He will give you the honest story as to why Aborne/world is now selling them. He shared wit me last week the real story on why he is not going to sell any of the Ultimates ANYMORE... I think you need to find out the real storie before anybody posts what they heard 3 times around. YOu can thank CHIEFS for part of the problem. Be as any other hobbiest trying to save money. I ordered one from CHIEFS 2 weeks ago and I now cancelled everything with them due to there false advertising and their LIES!!!!! I went to order a 27% and I was told it was produced by AW not airborne.. After it didn't arrive I called CHIEFS and asked what was going on? LARRY told me that they were suppose to come in and he couldn't get in touch with AW cuz they were moving. WRONG ANSWER!! I called ROCCO then and found out the real story. I will never buy anything from chiefs AGAIN!!! Once I am lied to they screwed the ppooooch!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.