Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Dornier DO 335

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Dornier DO 335

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

Very cool TA. Great job. One day I will build one of these. I may need to grab the ARF before they go away just so I will have one. That is an expensive airframe to equipe
Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr DJ

Jimmy, my Man...

Believe me, the fire was lit with Jim flew his...and now my butt is burning like a lava rock... As for my mod; it's just a minute deal dealing with tail colwing; can't tell you but you will love it for sure [img][/img]

I think I will go with twin 30's or a 30 and a 20 like you just stated.

Mr DJ
Hey Hey Hey Mr DJ,
My spies say your thinking of something more creative than 30s and 20s....Hmmmmmm

Your brother from the other coast...jim
Old 11-03-2011, 05:07 PM
jimkron

ORIGINAL: TA152

Erstflug at last

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0KPRhmptMo

Hey TA152,
Finally another Do 335 erstflug. Congrats! The sound was deafening...was it that loud in person?
What was the final weight?
Was that full speed in the video? My electric looked a little quicker...
I've landed mine on grass a few times and it was a joy. Unfortunately my main field is hard turf and only 450 feet long. I put on a set of Sierra brakes...they work great.

Welcome to the club,

jim
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Mr DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimkron

Jimmy, my Man...

Believe me, the fire was lit with Jim flew his...and now my butt is burning like a lava rock... As for my mod; it's just a minute deal dealing with tail colwing; can't tell you but you will love it for sure [img][/img]

I think I will go with twin 30's or a 30 and a 20 like you just stated.

Mr DJ
Hey Hey Hey Mr DJ,
My spies say your thinking of something more creative than 30s and 20s....Hmmmmmm

Your brother from the other coast...jim
Jim, my Brother...

Ok, you got me; more like 55s and 30s

Your Brother...Mr DJ

Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 AM
TA152

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your kind comments

The next step is to find some spinners and try some different props. The noise from the rear propeller is very high.
I will order a scalecockpit and make geardoors this winter.

The plane weights 15kg dry with some 2kg of lead in the nose
5,5" Mainwheels looks ok on this model.

Jim:
The takeoff was at full throttle, but in the lowpasses I only used half stick. Have used the smallest engines possible to hide them the best I can.

Here is a german ESM Do335

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBiqgT2QPBI
Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 AM
jimkron

ORIGINAL: TA152

Thanks for all your kind comments

The next step is to find some spinners and try some different props. The noise from the rear propeller is very high.
I will order a scalecockpit and make geardoors this winter.

The plane weights 15kg dry with some 2kg of lead in the nose
5,5'' Mainwheels looks ok on this model.

Jim:
The takeoff was at full throttle, but in the lowpasses I only used half stick. Have used the smallest engines possible to hide them the best I can.

Here is a german ESM Do335

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBiqgT2QPBI
Hey TA152
Your final weight is almost the same as mine...without my 20s lipos.
My rear prop is also noisy. Its the nature of the pusher prop beating the air. I used a Xoar 20-10 on front and back.
Ty makes a nice cockpit kit.

jim
Old 11-04-2011, 04:17 PM
TA152

Have ordered canopy and scale cockpit from VQwarbirds today
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 AM
TA152

Have sent you my mailadress MrDJ
Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 AM
jimkron

Hey Do 335 builders,
It was an honor to be featured in this months addition of International Quiet and Electric Flight Magazine.
Check it out.

jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17652.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1688610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71907.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1688611  
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats Jim......but ONLY 11lbs over......
Old 11-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Mr DJ

Jim,

My Brother from a Different Mother...

U R Da Man!

Mr DJ
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 AM
TA152

More videos of the ESM Do335
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktsr7rcnaVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVMsRuLhADE
Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 AM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch!

I think the rear engine quit!?! ;(

Casey
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM
jimkron

Always sad to see a crash like that. The guy writes he's seen a bunch of 2.4 radio hits. Wow. They must fly near Area 51.
Also, whats the point of getting a twin and only putting one engine on it? I think that's what makes the Dornier such a cool plane to fly and a challenge to built.

jim
Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Mr DJ

Here’s my thoughts (although Jim hit the computer before I did), it makes absolutely no sense to me to have a special bird such as this mother and use only one freakin’ engine. Hell, you may as well fly a regular freakin’ war bird or other everyday Yak, Cessna, P-51, etc. Yeah, yeah, I know “it’s your bird and you’ll build it however you like.” I totally understand and agree, but still, this puppy is Xtra Special.

<o></o>

As soon as mine is done, I’ll post it, but will send a special sneak peek to a few.

<o></o>

Mr DJ

Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 AM
jimkron

Here’s my thoughts (although Jim hit the computer before I did), it makes absolutely no sense to me to have a special bird such as this mother and use only one freakin’ engine. Hell, you may as well fly a regular freakin’ war bird or other everyday Yak, Cessna, P-51, etc. Yeah, yeah, I know “it’s your bird and you’ll build it however you like.†I totally understand and agree, but still, this puppy is Xtra Special.

<o> </o>

As soon as mine is done, I’ll post it, but will send a special sneak peek to a few.

<o> </o>

Mr DJ

Mr DJ,
Funny, I thought you were a one-prop kinda guy.
I will say this, it made his plane ten pounds lighter than mine.[]

Brother from Another Coast,

jim
Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 PM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be harsh, but that 10 pounds of weight savings only saved him from picking up another 10 lbs from the field.

At the least I would have used a free swinging prop on the rear...but then I would have wanted it functional...

Casey
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Mr DJ

Here’s my thoughts (although Jim hit the computer before I did), it makes absolutely no sense to me to have a special bird such as this mother and use only one freakin’ engine. Hell, you may as well fly a regular freakin’ war bird or other everyday Yak, Cessna, P-51, etc. Yeah, yeah, I know “it’s your bird and you’ll build it however you like.” I totally understand and agree, but still, this puppy is Xtra Special.

<o></o>

<o></o>

Mr DJ

Mr DJ,
Funny, I thought you were a one-prop kinda guy.
I will say this, it made his plane ten pounds lighter than mine.[]

Brother from Another Coast,

jim
Jim, my Brother from Another Mother...

Yeah, I guess I like a single every now and then; think I'll throw a DA 85 on mine

Mr DJ

Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Sessholvlaru

Here are some pics of my mod for the lipo hatch and strut.
The four lipos (20s total) sit standing up in front of the canopy.
Then, I needed to lengthen the trailing link so the strut would fit in the wheel well. I bought the coupling at Home Depot and cut it down to fit in trailing link. The hex shaped coupling made it easier to attach. I used epoxy putty to attach it higher on the strut. The epoxy is a dark gray when dry so I painted it with some silver. You would never know.
I also bought the very nice Sierra brakes and hooked them into the down elevator on my transmitter. Works great.
The final pictures are my inner stuffings.

jim
Can you give me a summary of your weathering techniques? Your Pfeil looks great!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 PM
jimkron

Can you give me a summary of your weathering techniques? Your Pfeil looks great!
[/quote]

Thank you for noticing. First of all, I'm a beginner. I studied some airbrush techniques in model magazines at the hobby shop. My real inspiration was this P-38 at the Smithsonian in DC. I stared at that plane for an hour one afternoon. I knew any weathering I tried after that day would be a dissapointment, but it gave me some ideas of how a plane looked after a few months in battle.

Panel Lines: Don't just take dark pencil and draw your lines out. Tried several types of pencils but found a white very thin pen worked best. Tip #1, don't make solid lines. Light touch with plenty of breaks in the line for a more realistic look. I then lightly airbrushed all the panel lines with charcol...less is more.

Rivets: Simulated on the fuselage using a very thin silver tip felt pen.

Paint chipping: Silver paint and a small brush. Tip #2, dip brush, then take a paper towel and clean off the brush. There will be a very little paint left on brush. This is called "dry brushing". Very lightly brush to create chipping or wearing. I focused a lot on anything showing an edge.

Exhaust stacks: These were bought from a model company in the UK and are made out of resin. (not exactly the right ones, but close enough for me) I painted with a brush using four different colors and a paper towel to blend. From 6 inches away they look like rusted metal. This one took some practice.
I used my airbrush and some off-white paint to create the exhaust stains along with some darker paint strokes. Again, less is more.

UnderPlane panel lines: Pencil and a wet finger to blend.

Finally: I airbrushed the whole plane with a very very light charcol paint to simulate general grime. Less is more. Tip #3, I then took 0000 steel wool and wiped down every inch of the plane to give is a dull look.

All the weathering took a day or two...I was looking for something I could do quickly.
Did I say....less is more?

jim

Name:	Us53369.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1699299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59189.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1699300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57169.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1699301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63736.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1699302  
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Sessholvlaru

...but found a white very thin pen worked best.

So you used a white pen? Like a paint pen or a colored pencil? Thanks for your details!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
jimkron

I found a pen at the art store called a Gelly Roll Medium White. Sort of a ball point pen. Very sharp edge. It comes in a fine line as well. I would get both. I used a metal ruler and a Gelly Roll to draw the panel lines on the wing. For the fuselage I just ran the pen down the panel lines.
Remember...very very light touch with lots of line breaks...nothing is solid...less is more. Its almost impressionistic. Let the mind fill in the rest. You can experiment with going over the white lines with a light charcol pencil as well to break up the white and make it fade a bit. The P-38 picture is your inspiration. I will say this...converting my plane to electric made this a lot easier. No fuel proofing. Months later, I'm still adding...experimenting. Like painting on a canvas.

jim
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Sessholvlaru

I found a pen at the art store called a Gelly Roll Medium White. Sort of a ball point pen. Very sharp edge. It comes in a fine line as well. I would get both. I used a metal ruler and a Gelly Roll to draw the panel lines on the wing. For the fuselage I just ran the pen down the panel lines.
Remember...very very light touch with lots of line breaks...nothing is solid...less is more. Its almost impressionistic. Let the mind fill in the rest. You can experiment with going over the white lines with a light charcol pencil as well to break up the white and make it fade a bit. The P-38 picture is your inspiration. I will say this...converting my plane to electric made this a lot easier. No fuel proofing. Months later, I'm still adding...experimenting. Like painting on a canvas.

jim
Thanks for your tips. I picked up a ton of white and silver pens at Michaels over the weekend. This took me 2 minutes with a Uni-ball Gel Impact silver pen. This is the ESM Raiden btw, my build thread is up here too. Just sharing! These Raidens were worked to death, so I think I will really weather it.

Airburshing and charcoaling will make this thing look awesome!

Name:	Mk27072.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	1701910  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 AM
bcrc
My Feedback: (19)

Hello:
This message is for fokewulf37, Mr DJ, jimkron, TA152, and anyone else who has used Sierra retracts for their ESM DO-335 and has flown it.

I just received my Sierra retracts for my ESM DO-335. Wow - what gorgeous works of art they are! Worth the price. I test flew my "Pfeil" last summer with fixed gear, and now I am finishing everything up right. What I need to know is this:
Should I beef up the structure of the airplane where the nose and/or main gear units go. I realize I will have to do some cutting to make the Sierras fit, but should I also make the wood/fiberglass/etc stronger in those areas. Did anyone have any structural failures on a hard landing?

Thanks for your help.

Brian (BCRC)
Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Mr DJ

Brian,

Jim will be able to respond with authority... He also posted photos of his cut and pasting of the gear as well as Ty. Mine not flown yet, hopefully by Mar/Apr 2012. Stay Tuned...

Mr DJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.