Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Torro Tiger II kit update

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Torro Tiger II kit update

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 04:07 AM
Snake Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torro Tiger II kit update

Morning all.. as I can’t post pics till I have 10 posts you’ll have to take my word for it!
I wanted barrel recoil so I had to do that custom.
lathes and mills are a good thing
working on the wiring now .. the slip ring that comes in the 360 deg kit does not support xtra leads for servo power so I bought a 12 wire .. removing ALL turret rock and xtra movement.. that drives me nuts so...
bracing the upper hull as part of that and I’ve done a couple other things with the gear ring to help
im concentrating on one section at a time and Once all the issues and mechanics are how I want I’ll get into the details .. I’m not sure as to what tank I’ll do and if I’ll remove skirts and all that .. it’s been fun and I will be adding recoil to my Jagdtiger and fixing issues on the Tiger I .. couple more posts and I will post pics
Old 11-19-2019, 05:41 AM
Panzer222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds exciting,can’t wait to see your pics.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:23 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

One of my projects on Deck is a King Tiger, and I have the Porsche turret in IR so the barrel recoil and muzzle flash is already in place. I'm planning on making this into a Tamiya compatible battle tank, using an IBU 2 Pro and I plan to buy a genuine Tamiya apple and base. Still not sure what emitter I'll use, but all I have to do is call Rich Johnson and he'll tell me. I'll be looking forward to seeing photos of your build, just to see if it gives me any ideas. This will be about the 4th King tiger that I've built, but I sold all the ones before this.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

When we tested IR emitters a few years ago we found the TSAL 6100 940nm IR LED had the best range by a decent amount. However as LEDs are easily updated and we never originally knew the specs of the OG Tamiya IR LED it could of been just the one we tested or an older/newer one. Either way it worked really good and is dirt cheap at Digikey atm running about .57ea.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Dusty Steppes

I haven't tested it but this is what was recommended to me.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

You want the 940 nanometer IR emitter, not the 950. While I think it can work it isn't the correct wavelength. The beam spread on that one is nice and tight though!
If it makes you feel any better the TSAL6100 is the recommended IR emitter to replace the Tamiya one from Open Panzer too. Since we don't really know the specs on the Tamiya one I guess if it works then go for it, but tried and true is the TSAL6100 @ 940nm.

(please take this as a grain of salt, I do not know the Tamiya specs either, just I can confirm I did as good if not better than the Tamiya tanks when I tested mine)
Old 11-20-2019, 07:26 AM
Alpha.MRC

Snake Wrangler, what gauge is the wire on your slip ring? I bought one recently locally and the wire seems incredibly thin and "brittle".

Can't wait to see your pictures for your hull reinforcements.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Snake Wrangler

Originally Posted by Alpha.MRC
Snake Wrangler, what gauge is the wire on your slip ring? I bought one recently locally and the wire seems incredibly thin and "brittle".

Alpha it got delivered today so I’ll know tonight .. I’ll try and send some pics on Messages to you
Old 12-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Snake Wrangler

Originally Posted by Alpha.MRC

Alpha.. the wire gauge was comparable to the one in kit .. wire didn’t seem as flexible but is fine .. the hull bracing didn’t go as planned 1time round .. I used JB weld and ya that don’t work .. also found a HUGE amount of turret play is from only 3 screws attaching the ring at 9:00 12:00 3:00 nothing at 6:00 I fixed that and now I’ll only need minimal hull braces