Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Moustache 20cc DHC-2 Beaver Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Moustache 20cc DHC-2 Beaver Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 10:46 PM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Today I test flew the Beaver. It flew "OK", but will not make it to the list of aeroplanes I am looking forward to take to the field...
Since it was quite windy at the airfield today, my test with the use of full flaps is still inconclusive. The elevator down with flaps in "take-off" setting as shown in the manual resulted in drastic nose drop. I halved the % value and it is much better now.
Due to the fact that the muffler got loose, I called it a day only managing a couple of flights. When I will get an opportunity, I ask a friend with a camera to take some in flight photos. On the plus side few club members commented that it looks great in the air.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 12-30-2022, 09:32 PM
erans

Some photos that I missed, the struts and the weights in the nose.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 12-31-2022, 05:11 AM
erans

My friend's wife made me the markings for the Beaver. She cut them using her card cutter / printer. I was very impressed how clean it cut the Monokote.
The most challenging part was to get the alignment and spacing correct. I marked a center-line and used the Monokote from which the lettering / numbering was cut from to draw the locations of the writing on the fuselage with a pencil. I then ironed the individual letters / numbers and used Methylated spirits to wipe the pencil markings off. Since the "printer" bed is 12" x 12", the "1" did not fit in the available width and required "jigging" to be placed correctly.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 01-02-2023, 10:11 AM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice plane. Just an observation, I always make my radio switches AFT=ON. The reason is, if you or someone is holding the plane and let go, if the switches are brushed by a hand it is less likely that you will turn the radio off as it leaves your grasp.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:12 AM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

BTW, I like your propeller sock.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:58 PM
erans

gow589 - Thank you for the comments. The switches on my aeroplanes are usually located in the forward part of the fuselage, I will not let anybody hold the aeroplane anywhere near this location when the engine is running. You do have a point tough, and I used to do this (OFF forward) when I started flying many years ago. I witnessed a hand-launch of a .40 size trainer where the thumb of the launching assistant shut the radio off. It was quite funny at the time as we looked helplessly at the perfectly trimmed aeroplane climbing to the horizon and ended up deep in the sea : )

In Australia I purchase the prop covers from Desert Aircraft Australia. Since I use wood props and have tight storage and transport spaces (which can ding a prop easily), they worth their cost.
https://www.desertaircraft.com.au/sh...op-Covers.html
DA also make their own branded prop covers which you see on the Beaver:
https://www.desertaircraft.com.au/sh...op-covers.html

Cheers,
Eran
Old 03-09-2023, 10:10 PM
erans

Some Beaver update - After a long spell of poor flying weather it was time to take the Beaver out to the airfield again.
To my surprise when assembling the aeroplane at the airfield, the left aileron was hanging in an angle. On close inspection, one hinge was broken and another was other pulled out, obviously the material it is made off not adhering properly to balsa wood. The ailerons are the only surfaces where I used the CA hinges supplied with the kit (what was I thinking?). These are obviously of extreme low quality as anything else supplied with the kit. I advise anybody buying anything from Moustache Model Works to bin anything that is not wood that is supplied with these kits.
To be clear, the wings are always stored each in its own bubble wrap and in climate controlled environment, never dropped / got any impact, and are stored with no force whatsoever on the ailerons.

Both ailerons were now fitted with CA hinges from the now gone Great Planes.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 03-10-2023, 04:34 PM
GiantModeler

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default The Other Side

Erans,

After I read your latest post, I immediately checked the ailerons on my Moustache Model Works Beaver. And the elevator, rudder, flaps, and doors, anything that had a hinge. The result: no separations or breakages. Everything was secure. My model is about a year older than yours.

Overall, I found this kit to be an ideal reintroduction to building scale models. Mine flies really well and has a strong presence in the sky, or so my fellow fliers tell me.

The designer took the prototype to our Scale Nats where he scored second in his class in his first contest ever!

Remember, this is the first model I had built from a kit in over 20 years. For all practical purposes, I was a rookie. Yet, I was able to end up with a great model and enjoyed myself building it.

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience, but I had just the opposite.

With respect, take care.

Bren Bailey

Old 03-10-2023, 07:57 PM
erans

Bren - It is great to hear that you were enjoying this kit. My fellow club members also mentioned that this Beaver has a great presence in the air.

I am not a scale "nut", for me, if the aeroplane is recognisable by others, it is good enough. Practicality (as in "living with the aeroplane long term") is much more important to me, however, this is what I find so great with this hobby. Everybody can find their enjoyment of it and I have no doubt that this Beaver can be very competitive in a scale competition if it is built by someone who is into detailing it.

I've been building kits and scratch building for most of the last 40 years. I applaud anybody taking on producing a "traditional" (i.e wood) kit.
I do have an issue with providing not fit for purpose hardware. I much rather not to have any hardware provided than having to bin the lot. I would have paid additional amount to have Du-Bro or Sullivan hardware included instead. I end up buying it anyway.
If I was to get into the business of producing kits, I would check the market by buying few kits that represent the top tier of kit manufacturing such as kits provided by Balsa USA, SIG, or buying older kits from reputable brands such as Top-Flite and see what they provide with the kit, and try to match the quality. As someone who tries to establish yourself as a serious kit manufacturer you do not try to match the quality of the bottom of the pile kit and the current ARF manufacturers.
Building a kit is highly involved activity and huge amount of time is spent on it when compared with ARF. You would think that someone who takes on this almost extinct part of the hobby will not appreciated being treated to cost saving measures on the hardware. Sorry, but I am one of these not appreciative people.

The good news is that this Beaver build is behind me and the next kit (Lanier RC Giant Stinger) is waiting for me to make a start...

Cheers,
Eran

Old 03-10-2023, 08:32 PM
GiantModeler

Erans,

Good luck with your Stinger. Back in the '90s, I knew a few fellows who built and flew them. They had nothing but good things to say about them.

Take care,

Bren
Old 12-17-2023, 11:52 PM
erans

A quick update on the Beaver - It is by some margin the worst flying aeroplane I own. I only take it out to the airfield to have fuel going through the engine...
Yesterday, on the 17th flight, I had a sharp unexpected roll to the left during flight. Having to fly with full opposite aileron and rudder, I managed to land safely and found, again, two broken hinges on the left aileron (only 15 flights since the original CA hinge was found broken). This is the first time ever that I saw this happening to a Great Planes CA hinges.

This morning I cut both ailerons off the wing and installed Robart Pin Hinges.

Cheers,
Eran.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:38 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello again, I wonder if there is something about the plywood box construction that amplifies the vibrations. I have replaced all the hinges --even the doors-- with bigger Robart hinges and the seem to be holding up ok. I have had the engine mounting bolts break, on one flight I only had 1 complete bolt holding the engine on. they are now hardened bolts with lock nuts on the back side of the blind nuts . currently I need to re glue a cowl mounting block for about the third time. My plane flies beautiful in all wind conditions but takes a lot of maintenance from the vibrations.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:47 PM
erans

bryanmiick - Thank you for the information regarding the vibrations. As my aeroplane has so little air time, I may yet to have the engine mounting bolts break ; ) At least you enjoy the flying characteristics of your aeroplane.
It is unfortunate that this aeroplane was given to me as a birthday gift, which prevents me from getting rid of it.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 12-19-2023, 01:49 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Are you both running DLE engines?
Old 12-19-2023, 03:23 PM
erans

speedracerntrixie - I am running a DLE 20RA in my Beaver. I run 3 other aeroplanes with DLE 20's for many years now and they have none of these issues. The DLE 20 is a very smooth running engine.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 12-19-2023, 06:36 PM
bryanmiick

I'm running an OS GT22 engine and have run it on other planes with no problems, I have 4 of them.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:30 AM
erans

I finally decided to take the Beaver to the airfield today to check my hinges fix. It seems to be OK now.

On my third landing, the threaded wheel axle came off. It had blue Loctite on it. Another example of the poor engineering on this kit.
I trully had enough of this Beaver. Prior to owning this aeroplane, I never had an RC aeroplane that I didn't wanted to take to the airfield with me. It is time to get rid of it, and since I cannot in good conscious sell it to anybody or even give it for free, once I salvage my gear out of it it will go to the bin.

Cheers,
Eran

Last edited by erans; 03-21-2024 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:22 PM
bryanmiick

sorry to hear it. I enjoyed watching your build
Old 03-22-2024, 10:48 PM
erans

Thank you bryanmiick, it is highly appreciated.
If you are interested, my current build of the Lanier RC 84" Stinger is here:
Lanier RC 84" Stinger

Cheers,
Eran
Old 03-23-2024, 08:12 AM
GiantModeler

Eran,

I, too, am sorry that you did not have a good experience building the Moustache Model Worls Beaver. While you and I have differing opinions about this kit, I do appreciate and understand your frustrations.

During your thread, I picked up some very good tips and techniques. As a returning kit builder, I need all the help I can get. So, I am also following your Stinger build.

I hope this American kit provides you more building and flying pleasure.

Take care,

Bren
Old 03-23-2024, 07:26 PM
erans

Thank you Bren, it is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 04-18-2024, 03:35 AM
erans

The Beaver was stripped of all the gear and has been hanged in its final resting place in a friends shed as a "talking point".
If you look at the photo carefully you will be able to see my 1/5th scale Messerschmitt Bf 109 and the Great Planes 1/3rd scale Pitts Special providing it with company ; )

Cheers,
Eran
Old 04-18-2024, 07:26 AM
scottrc

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Eran,
I have followed your posts and its sad you had to come to this with the Beaver, but it happens in our hobby.
I am currently having the same issues with a Phoenix Waco. I normally don't do ARFs because I get a "Friday at Five" model and then I'm spending more time and money redoing boneheaded mistakes in the kit. This is one of those. Hinging has been a nightmare, landing gear re-engineering challenges due to poorly made parts, I'm really tempted to what you did and "hang it up".

Scott

Old 04-18-2024, 05:00 PM
erans

Scott - When an aeroplane stops being fun then what is the point? We all have a limited time to enjoy the hobby and on that time it supposed to be fun : )

Cheers,
Eran