Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Old 01-21-2015, 05:34 PM
68goat
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still building. I have to admit, I spent some time buying and flying ARF's and had a good time. For the past few years though, I have found my way back to the building boards. it reminded me why I chose this hobby in the first place. There's nothing quite like unpacking a box of wood, studying the plans, doing the research, building, and then standing back to look at what you built with your own hands. Maidens always take on special significance since so much work and time and sweat and love has gone into your creation. When you take off and your knees are knocking, your getting altitude, trimming, and finally she's flying as well as you had hoped,man it's always a major charge for me. I guess that's why I still build. I have a BUSA Fokker D-VIII awaiting it's maiden, I'm finishing up the framing of a 1/3 scale BUSA Morane Saulnier, and in line waiting is a BUSA 1/4 Fokker D-VII, a BUSA 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup, and a Bud Nosen Mr. Mulligan. That should keep me busy for a while.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I kept getting PMs asking questions on how I build a plane from plans and use templates so I tried to do a thread on how easy it is. A couple posts into it the topic turned into the poop question from Star Trek, in this case people got fixated on what type of glue to use to paste the paper templates on with. I answered the question but it kept going. If people are that stupid they can't cut and build there own kit. I let it fizzle out before it got started.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 PM
lgaines85

Another builder here and have been for the last 22 years. My enjoyment in this hobby is the building and the satisfaction of flying my work. I stocked up on numerous kits a few years ago and scored on some old red box top flite kits and Royal kit. I don't like arfs or any kind there of where the real work of building is done for you. Yes they building kits are time consuming especially when I have children. I even have my 10 year daughter building a Sig Kadet as her airplane and I she loves evey bit of it. Well I'll come back to his thread in a little while and see how many more of us are still out there.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Some are built from scratch which is commendable but .......
carl
Some are probably a better pilot which is commendable...

Kurt
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

I bought a Green Air ARTF Albatros DV last summer. Apart from glueing on the tail surfaces and fitting two servos to the fuselage I have done nothing to it. To be truthful I'm disappointed in it. The undersufaces are finished in white and not pale blue and the undercarriage is a tubular sprung affair. I could go on but you get my drift, hardly scale at all.

On Monday I started the repair of my Chris Olsen Uproar, an early aerobatic model dating from 1958. The repair involved building a complete starboard wing. I've nearly finished the basic construction and have enjoyed the process immensely.

Says it all really.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Charles_e_bates
My Feedback: (90)

Default where have the builders gone

Remember one thing,

ARF, KIT, PLANS or just make it up out of you head, GET OUT AND FLY.!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:41 PM
lannie41

I built a guillows arrow when I was about 12 years old and when I wound that rubber band up and gave it a toss it actually flew and I was hooked for life I think. I am 52 now and for many years while raising kids I just did not have the time. I bought a couple of Arfs to try and It just was not the same knowing that many others had the exact same plane. I have built a 96" Unionville turbo beaver and most of a 120" Mr. Aerodesign Pilatus porter this winter. I just ordered a BUSA 1/4 scale pup and a Proctor Nieuport 28 . If the BUSA goes well I will start the Proctor Model. The wife and I are going to drive down to Oregon to pick it up when I get the call and she is happy I have a hobby that I really enjoy. I live in Alberta and this hobby makes a cold winter pass by much faster with many things to look forward to when the sun finally starts to melt the snow banks away. I am a member who does not also post on RC scalebuilder but I am always reading and learning from others there as well as here and other similar sites. For me one of the most important things about building is to finish the one you are working on before starting another. It is so fulfilling to watch something you built fly and so easy to repair what you built. Arfs, kits, scratch builders all share a great hobby ! I am amazed at some of the abilities others have and it is easy to be inspired. I am a poor pilot but lucky I guess because I love building them.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles_e_bates
Remember one thing,

I intend to do just that later today. I shall be flying a model which I bought on eBay and have just repaired; another which I built from someone else's wreck and an ARTF Fun Fly which will receive its maiden flight.

This is on the building board.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Uproar wing construction. (4).JPG
Views:	1256
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	2066399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uproar wing construction. (3).JPG
Views:	1258
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	2066400  
Old 01-22-2015, 04:12 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I build from scratch, kits, assemble ARF's and will fly everything I can get my hands on really. It seems to me that the attention span of most is pretty short, most are only interested in the latest ARF and after 6 months they are on to something else. I don't post my work in a dedicated build thread because there is no interest in it.

The whole landscape has shifted to how much money a guy can sink into an ARF, he is the guy that will get the most respect and attention. People are interested in the ARF's because it is something they can potentially own, not the built up balsa model that took 2 years to build. This is probably how it has always been in other hobbies, it just took a while to get to ours.

If you want to see some building, here is my Ziroli Panther built from a Laser Design Services short kit. I made all the fiberglass parts, Ziroli canopy was out of scale and much too large, so I made the canopy frame and vacuum formed my own. I vacuum formed my own 1,000lb bombs, inner gear doors etc. and came up with all the parts from various sources. Lots of fun! Good luck with your projects and happy building to all!

Name:	0022.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	2066421   Click image for larger version

Name:	0092.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	2066422   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	1352
Size:	781.4 KB
ID:	2066423   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	1312
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	2066424   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	1315
Size:	815.1 KB
ID:	2066425  
Old 01-22-2015, 04:22 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vertical Grimmace said: "Why does this not surprise me? "

Most likely it's because your judgmental? That would be my guess, your answer above certainly indicates that. Feel free to write and explain how the way I enjoy the hobby is somehow less important than the way you do.

Last edited by porcia83; 01-22-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Charles_e_bates
Remember one thing,

absolutely.........
Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
I build from scratch, kits, assemble ARF's and will fly everything I can get my hands on really. It seems to me that the attention span of most is pretty short, most are only interested in the latest ARF and after 6 months they are on to something else. I don't post my work in a dedicated build thread because there is no interest in it.

The whole landscape has shifted to how much money a guy can sink into an ARF, he is the guy that will get the most respect and attention. People are interested in the ARF's because it is something they can potentially own, not the built up balsa model that took 2 years to build. This is probably how it has always been in other hobbies, it just took a while to get to ours.

If you want to see some building, here is my Ziroli Panther built from a Laser Design Services short kit. I made all the fiberglass parts, Ziroli canopy was out of scale and much too large, so I made the canopy frame and vacuum formed my own. I vacuum formed my own 1,000lb bombs, inner gear doors etc. and came up with all the parts from various sources. Lots of fun! Good luck with your projects and happy building to all!
awesome build, and amazing plane.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree, what a beautiful build job!

Bob
Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 AM
Muttdog

I'm 41 and just started my first build last week. To be honest I didn't have much interest in building but I wanted a 60cc size profile and those are simply not available as ARFs. Having said that, I'm starting to see what you all see in this building thing and the quality going in simply cannot come out of china. I'm supporting an American company (Wrong Way RC) as well so it's a win-win. I hope this is not my last one

Name:	20150119_072719 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	2066492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150121_183156 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	2066493   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150122_065007 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	2066494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150122_065031 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	2066495  
Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 AM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

I have enjoyed several of your builds you have post. Keep em coming. There are too many arf asemblies and no real building. Your builds are a treat. I understand there is not to much feedback in build post any more and think is because to few real builders so what can they say! I glassed my first foam jet and your f100 was an inspiration. What a boring build I have at rcgroups with almost non existing coments on this project. At the end I enjoy documenting my builds and there are some fallowers that keep quiet. Recently updated shrike 10 build I did here at kitbuilders in 2010 and recieved a thanks from someone fallowing quietly.

I'm a builder to and can identify with mike 1974. Is really hard to mange hobby with young children, work, wife, and a budget. It has work for me building a hour or max two hours each morning. Go to exercise come back enter shop and work for a few hours and go to work. This few hours contantly have been more eficient than the friday all night long build or discontinued build time on weekends with family.

My stash of kits grew in 2014 buying discontinued kits that I like and intend to build. Hope not to become a horder and in need to sell kit in a ten year period. Build a lot in 2014 but. Also crashed the nice jets I produced........ Have to real nice builds here at jet section. Yellow aircraft sting ray electric conversion, long ez 46 turbine conversion. Both R.I.P with few flights on them.

Well this is a hobby and crashing them is part of it and a excuse for building a new one. Recently started building with depron and has been a really nice experience. Probably can build in a 1/3 of the time invested in a balsa kit.

Cheers

juan

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2066524   Click image for larger version

Views:	109
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	2066525   Click image for larger version

Views:	117
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2066526   Click image for larger version

Views:	131
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	2066527  
Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 AM
GerKonig

Meanwhile, they find new applications to our "toys". I wonder if this one was an arf or bulit from scratch?

Gerry

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Police in a Mexican border city said Wednesday that a drone overloaded with illicit methamphetamine crashed into a supermarket parking lot. Tijuana police spokesman Jorge Morrua said authorities were alerted after the drone fell Tuesday night near the San Ysidro crossing at Mexico's border with California.
Six packets of the drug, weighing more than six pounds, were taped to the six-propeller remote-controlled aircraft. Morrua said authorities are investigating where the flight originated and who was controlling it. He said it was not the first time they had seen drones used for smuggling drugs across the border.
Other innovative efforts have included catapults, ultralight aircraft and tunnels.
In April, authorities in South Carolina found a drone outside the fence of a prison that had been carrying cellphones, marijuana and tobacco.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You would be suprized there are peaple (Im one of them that would love more info on your Panther)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by WacoNut
I think you have 3 different segments of people in the hobby. You have flyers that just want to fly and have no interest in building, they buy ARF's and fly them till there wore out or crashed and throw them away without a 2nd thought of repairing them. When it comes down to it ARF's are cheaper and faster than building like it or not.

Another segment enjoys building and flying equally and they will build a lot of kits and enjoy showing up at the field with their latest creation and tearing up the skies with pride. Usually this is the younger to middle aged class with some spare time on their hands.

The last class would be your scale builder, may build from kits but there are very few scale worthy kits. Most build from plans or have a kit laser cut for a particular plan they want to build from. This will mostly be middle aged to retired modelers who really enjoy the challenge and satisfaction from completing a fine sale subject and this usually ranks higher than flying. As someone already stated a scale build is usually a long term commitment.

ARF's have their place and are not to blame for the demise of the kits, it is the current culture that is killing kits. Most people now days want it now. No patience and or pride. Now I do have to admit I have an ARF in my trailer, it is my fun-fly plane that I will rip around and do things I would not dare try with one of my scale builds. I have nothing but $$$ invested in it to risk.

People can find the time to build if they want to build. A guy in my club says he never has time to build and I know him well he spends several hours every evening watching TV. It is all about priorities and choices. Flyers will fly and builders will build. It is what ever floats your boat or flips your prop. I personally think every modeler should at least attempt to build one model to get the full experience from the hobby. You never know what your missing until you try it.

Now to answer the question of where have the builders gone, I think the 1st group has about 70% of the modelers based off of what I see show up at our Club's Fly-Ins.
Later!!
Anthony
Nice post Anthony!

I would like to add another group though. The group that enjoys many aspects of RC. As in my previous post I pointed out that I enjoy building, I enjoy ARF's. foamies, micros, quads, helis, FPV, etc. I am not pigeon holed into just one small aspect of RC. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Back in the day, lol, you did not have all these choices. Being a technology geek, I also love the technology behind FPV, autonomous flight, etc. I also do not fall into the catagory of fly it til it breaks and junk it. I am very maticulous with every single aircraft I have. From my little Night Vapor to my current TF GE Corsair .60 build. Unless it was just total destruction I would not throw anything away and would definitely fix it. Just trying to give a differen perspective. There are ALOT more options nowadays for people interested in RC.

Miike
Old 01-22-2015, 07:17 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, I just want to say as a newer flyer (going into my 4th year of flight) it’s all about proper motivation and the help of others. Yes I have several TFG ARF's and Composite turbine jets, but I have a strong desire to build a plane, but have many fears.

Heck I have paid for 2 Top Flight Giant Corsair kits that I have solid both for 1/2 price as I chickened out both times, and My boy built one and after 3 years he still is not done.

But I fell in love with NASA Scale (a lot like Scale Masters) competition, and after winning 1st at a few local and at the finials last year, I’m being moved out of the Novice Class and put into the Expert Class. So now if I want to be competitive I will have to stick build my own plane.

So I have two birds I’m working on at the same time to help me with my short attention issues, a Jerry Bates 82in Dauntless and a Fiberglass Fuze Ziroli panther (PST) Im hoping to put a P80 that I already have in the panther, and I’m trying to get a Satio 300 twin I got of this site to work that some one solid me as great running........

But if it was not for the fact I have to build more than 50% of the plane myself and come up with the documtashion I wouldn't even be trying to build these two birds, Lets face it I can get a Skymaster Panther that is a little bigger, 100% sexy and painted for less than Im going to put into this kit.

But at the end of the day I think the main issue all of you are missing is America has changed sooo much, As a Mechanic in the Army, it blows my mind how many people are scared to do simple things like change the batteries in the cars. But this is because there parents came from a time when they were too busy to work on their own stuff, and never passed the skills to their kids. So we end up with more and more kids that have no concept of making something work.

Last edited by mikes68charger; 01-22-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 AM
hobbinr
My Feedback: (9)

Many nice kits still at eurekaaircraft.com.....lots of oldies but goodies there. American made pattern planes....full kits or short kits. Good quality woods.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:50 AM
bafflerback
My Feedback: (6)

For me it has to do with aggravation. I love to build. The problem I have is there are very few kits available and most of them aren't what I'm looking for. The LHS will order anything I want if I can tell him where to get it. About 5 years ago I wanted to build a Cap. The only kit was the Lanier and it was $50 more than the ARF. I ordered it anyway and waited 2 months before I cancelled the order. I've has a soft spot in my heart for a Yak 50. I would have to draw it myself because I want a 50CC Size one. Again my local hobby shop doesn't stock wood. So I draw the airplane and order the wood of the internet. If I miss or forget something I'm back to ordering and waiting. If I didn't think it would take a year to draw and build I'd do it anyway. Maybe I will.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Meanwhile, they find new applications to our "toys". I wonder if this one was an arf or bulit from scratch?

Gerry

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Police in a Mexican border city said Wednesday that a drone overloaded with illicit methamphetamine crashed into a supermarket parking lot. Tijuana police spokesman Jorge Morrua said authorities were alerted after the drone fell Tuesday night near the San Ysidro crossing at Mexico's border with California.
Six packets of the drug, weighing more than six pounds, were taped to the six-propeller remote-controlled aircraft. Morrua said authorities are investigating where the flight originated and who was controlling it. He said it was not the first time they had seen drones used for smuggling drugs across the border.
Other innovative efforts have included catapults, ultralight aircraft and tunnels.
In April, authorities in South Carolina found a drone outside the fence of a prison that had been carrying cellphones, marijuana and tobacco.
Looks like it was kit built!

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...289353601.html
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bafflerback
For me it has to do with aggravation. I love to build. The problem I have is there are very few kits available and most of them aren't what I'm looking for. The LHS will order anything I want if I can tell him where to get it. About 5 years ago I wanted to build a Cap. The only kit was the Lanier and it was $50 more than the ARF. I ordered it anyway and waited 2 months before I cancelled the order. I've has a soft spot in my heart for a Yak 50. I would have to draw it myself because I want a 50CC Size one. Again my local hobby shop doesn't stock wood. So I draw the airplane and order the wood of the internet. If I miss or forget something I'm back to ordering and waiting. If I didn't think it would take a year to draw and build I'd do it anyway. Maybe I will.

I find it hard to believe that you cannot find what you want. If you can find the plans, you can have a kit cut. Now, if you cannot find plans, that would be another story. With modern CNC laser cutting, and all of the companies offering this service, you can have any kit you want. And they provide the wood. You can get either a short kit, or a full kit (all of the sticks and sheet stock).
Old 01-22-2015, 08:37 AM
lawrence b

Originally Posted by bafflerback
Have you looked into any of the custom kit cutters? Camden Custom Cutters or Precision Cutters both do great work and have a big selection to pick from.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 AM
yel914

I'm still building and have no plans to stop. I do think the landscape has changed though. The folks who want instant gratification will always go for ARFs. I think uploading issues here have helped to drive the more serious builders to RCSB. People involved in electric flight seemed to gravitate to RCG where there is much more info in that area. RCU seems to be a more general forum lately. While I have plenty of kits and plans sets in my stash, I can see having an ARF or 2 to fly while I finish a current build. It does get harder to build a kit of something that has a decent ARF version available though.

Leroy, you should post a pic or 2 of that beautiful Skywalker of yours, just to show what can be accomplished.

Rick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.