Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Old 09-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Nils,yes actually. When I got my first 7-70 I did run it on 16% oil and 15 % nitro and frankly it ran great! Just produced an oily mess! The higher nitro compensated for the high oil so low reliable idle was possible. Lars,the problem with on board glow is the great weight of the large batteries required. many people are happy however. The first picture of your most recent post was great! -Tom
Old 09-25-2011, 09:42 AM
nilsreinert123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds great!
I found a place where i can purchase pure methanol, but it is directly from the raffinery in a 200 litre barrel as lowest quantity... a little much. I would have had fuel for the rest of my life !
But if i bought a 770 it would be absolutely best to run it without nitro and 6% oil to avoid the oil mess.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Linkan2

Tom
You say it huh little broblem with them first carburetors to 7-35.
should I replace or upgrade the carburetor with other parts.
Lars
Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Maxam

Lars, Sorry it took so long to reply. I was in Philadelphia hearing the Philharmonic Orchestra playing along with the worlds largest pipe organ! Exciting concert. The carb is decent. I have heard there might be changes. Until then enjoy the engine!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23714.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1669565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68709.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1669566  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Maxam

Todays discussion refers to the danger of hydraulic lock on these radials. Due to the design of radials oil can seep down and pool into the bottom cylinders. Because liquids are basically non-compressible, if the engine is not checked first, the use of an electric starter or a strong arm can damage a connecting rod to the flooded cylinder. When getting ready to start the engine for the first time for the day, slowly turn the prop by hand. If you encounter a point where the compression is felt to be much higher, STOP!!!!!!! Drain that cylinder by removing the glow plug thus allowing the oil (or fuel) to leave. Over priming can also cause this condition. Next topic will cover valve adjustment -Tom
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
wingman_63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys - I am starting the build of a Top Flite Giant Scale Corsair and am determined if possible to power it with a Radial! I'm currently looking at the 7-77 or even 9-99 UMS engines but diameter is an issue especaially with the 9-99.

With an estimated weight of around 30lb I am concerned that the 7-77 which may fit does not quite have the power.

I'm looking to acheive ascale flight envelope with a three or evenfour,if I can,blade prop.

I will be following this thread with interest and would appreciate your thoughts.

Dave
Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Maxam

Dave, My corsair shown on this thread weighs 20 pounds 4 oz with a 91 inch span and it is powered with the older 7-70. The newer 7-77 should give 10% more power. Mine swings a Xoar 22x10 3 blade well. The plane flies fine at 1/2 throttle. Actually I usually take off at less than 3/4 throttle. Be mindfull always with weight while building. No glue glops, less epoxy more CA. Recall these engines have low vibration so the airframe does not have to withstand massive vibration from a single. -Tom
Old 10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Linkan2

How nice it looks in the UMS Seidel 7-35.
It has been run in 6 hours.
Nice and clean and no rust at all.
Lars

Name:	Ol31553.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1673434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63199.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1673435  
Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 AM
wingman_63

Tom - thanks for your reply. I am very conscious of managing weight whilst building, particularly aft of the Cof G and even more so at the rear of the fuse. Being conscious of it and achieving it are two different things though and I appreciate your comment.

I note these engines have an oversquare cylinder so that helps torque and from your experience its seems that the 7-77 may just be a good choice after all! I'm not sure that 10% more displacement will deliver 10% more power but its got to help. Unless I've missed something of course!!

This won't be quick build but I'll keep the thread informed . . . . either way.

Dave
Old 10-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Maxam

Dave, Please feel free to post progression of the build particularly the engine installation. I highly recommend bench running of the engine so you can become very familiar with its operation. They do run very cool so any overheating would be due to an extreme lean condition. The Xoar warbird 22x10 3 blade prop is excellent! -Tom

Lars, Thankyou for posting those internal pictures! I like to see engines being well cared for. -Tom
Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Maxam

Todays discussion concerns proper valve adjustment. First in my 30 years of 4 cycle engine flying I have found with complete consistency that valve adjustment is NOT critical. I have numerous times purposefully misadjusted valves and could barley perceive differences. What IS important is adjustment must allow both intake and exhaust valves to close completely or running goes to hell and valves and their seats get damaged on the double. Do not get me wrong I have high expectations of running quality and smooth transition through the throttle range.
Radials excepting the Saitos have a cam ring with multiple lobes to operate the valves. The more lobes the slower the cam ring runs relative to the shaft speed. Take a quiz! A cam ring has 5 lobe pairs.....what is its speed relative to the crank shaft?

OK on to the process; Removing all the glow plugs makes timing much easier so rotation is easy and the pistons can be seen at top dead center. Now start with the top cylinder even though this does not make a difference(you can start with any cylinder). Turn the prop to the point where both rockers are just moving and then one full turn to top dead center. You can see the piston through the glow plug hole. Turn the prop to the pistons highest point. Both rockers should have play. Adjust for correct clearance. You are NOT finished with this adjustment!! Now rotate the prop two full turns clockwise to the exact same position. The rockers might have the same clearance or have greater or lesser clearance. If lesser, readjust to correct. If greater leave alone. Now rotate the prop clockwise two full turns to again the same position. Check the clearance yet again, If lesser readjust if greater leave alone. The point is to never have a valve with too little clearance. A bit more does not hurt. Repeat this process for the remaining cylinders. You see each adjustment position is on a different cam lobe pair. This sounds like horrible tedium but once you get through a couple of cylinders it will go much faster than you thought. I can do the 9-90 in about one half hour. Maybe one glass of wine will help (only one!).
Old 10-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Collector:

Name:	Xv63106.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1673901  
Old 10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Maxam

Answer; ten crank shaft rotations to one complete rotation of the cam ring.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Linkan2

I have tried to adjust the valves as you said.
There vase a new experience that worked well thanks Tom for the tip.
I had a beer instead of wine
Lars
Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Maxam

Lars, I am glad you found that the valve adjustment instruction was clear even through a language barrier?? Your english is quite good however.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Pete Bergstrom

If anybody happens to be in the Chicago area this weekend I will have the entire line of EVO radials at the IHobby Show in Rosemont. All decked out with the new collector rings, choke levers, glow harnesses and throttle bellcranks. I'll be available both Saturday and Sunday to talk engines with anyone who wants to come by.

Pete

Name:	Lj22743.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1677410  
Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Linkan2

Hello radilal lovers
I have been in contact UMS about carburetors, to 7-35!
if there is an update, they rekomender to change carburetors.
Does anyone know what is to be modified?
It costs $ 40 not so bad
Lars
Old 10-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Maxam

Lars, Did you order one? If so let us know how it is different. -Tom
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Maxam

I have been doing some winter maintenance on my 7-70 in my corsair which means I removed the cowl. On an earlier post I discussed the importance of preventing corrosion. My last flight was about 3 weeks ago and two weeks later I happened to turn the prop and the engine felt just a bit "crunchy" meaning there might have been a bit of corrosion set in. I removed a bottom cam follower and the draining oil had that corrosiony smell. What I did was I added much more air tool oil and blu-block and turned the engine with an electric starter. I drained the new oil and added another shot of oil. It was clear and smelled good. I decided to inspect the interior and fortunately it was not corroded but I feel better! I heard some one liked the corsair and wanted to put a new 7-77 in it so here are some photos of my installation. Looking closely I made a ply and cherry stand-off for the engine that was painted with dope. The engine box is not in the correct location for the engine. The two lower mounting holes are fine for blind nuts behind the firewall but the top mounting hole could not be used but the inner one could if you run a bolt from the inside to the front and then use a nut to secure the engine. I hope the photos are useful. -Tom

PS the stand off length is one inch and a sixteenth. The manual for this model was way off.

Name:	Vt57264.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1682546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59620.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1682547  
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Kostas1

What a nice engine you got there! I love it!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Maxam

Thank you Kostas! Better get yourself one of these!

What to do with future projects!!!

for my 7-35.........Sig's Waco SRE would be great if they would ever get them in. Lars Stearman is rather convincing.

I hear Horizon will offer a gas 160cc 7 cylinder radial.............Beast anyone??? No 3D but an acquaintance has a Moki 150 in his and it is an excellent flier with strong up-lines and will do all full size maneuvers.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 PM
HornetFitter
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

If anybody happens to be in the Chicago area this weekend I will have the entire line of EVO radials at the IHobby Show in Rosemont. All decked out with the new collector rings, choke levers, glow harnesses and throttle bellcranks. I'll be available both Saturday and Sunday to talk engines with anyone who wants to come by.

Pete
Pete, I purchased my Seidel/UMS 7-70 radial when Hobby King first started selling them. (I believe I was the first purchaser actually)
Although I am still waiting for a suitable airframe for the engine to go into, I was wondering if Horizon Hobbies will be supporting the 7-70 as well. Not so much for warranty, but with spare parts and accessories. Specifically, I would like a collector ring. The other items, I have not seen yet, but I'm betting I just have to have them too LOL.
I look forward to hearing from you sir.
CHeerz,
Dave
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Pete Bergstrom

[/quote]
Pete, I purchased my Seidel/UMS 7-70 radial when Hobby King first started selling them. (I believe I was the first purchaser actually)
Although I am still waiting for a suitable airframe for the engine to go into, I was wondering if Horizon Hobbies will be supporting the 7-70 as well. Not so much for warranty, but with spare parts and accessories. Specifically, I would like a collector ring. The other items, I have not seen yet, but I'm betting I just have to have them too LOL.
I look forward to hearing from you sir.
CHeerz,
Dave
[/quote]

Dave,

Yeswe will have parts and spares available for the 7-70 engines already in the field. The collector ring for the 7-77 will fit the 7-70.

Pete
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM
BigJilm!

Subscribing to this thread! I have a 7-70 on order going in a 1/4 scale Morane Saulnier Criquet.

Tim
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Maxam

OOOH Tim, you will like this a bunch because that engine would turn a 24X10 well which would be good for scale and excellent pull. Any pictures? -Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.