Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

18 MZ Timer Speech

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 04:00 PM
rwilabee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 MZ Timer Speech

I have an 18SX and an 18MZ. My timer on the 18SX let's we switch between buzzer and speech. I can't figure out how to turn the speech on for the timer on the MZ.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I am not entirely sure that speech has been added to the 18MZ, I honestly cannot recall.

Have you updated to Ver. 2.7.2?

https://www.futabarc.com/software-updates.html

At any rate, it would be in the same location in the menus. I don't have my 18MZ handy right now to confirm or not.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:47 PM
rwilabee

Yes I have installed the latest update but I don't see it in the menu.

Rich
Old 02-26-2018, 07:26 PM
[email protected]

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gentlemen
I also have the 18MZ and find it very shocking that while the latest update has lots of programming items that speak, something that is as basic as timer countdown speech is left mute.
Even the lowly dxi transmitters talk.....
I have spent 3000 dollars on this radio and a Futaba radio that costs 1/3 as much has that feature.

Dan
President of the CVRCCLUB
Home of the Coachella Jet Jam
Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 PM
FUTABA-RC

It took nearly 3 years to get the talking timer added to the 18SZ. The 14SG had it for a long time. On the other hand the 18MZ has the ability to have custom speech files for just about anything you can dream up. Plus you can load longer sound files, which is what I did for a timer with my gliders. The countdown for landing is very specific and the talking timer in the 18SZ/16SZ is not enough for that use.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 AM
SanJoseDale

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
It took nearly 3 years to get the talking timer added to the 18SZ. The 14SG had it for a long time. On the other hand the 18MZ has the ability to have custom speech files for just about anything you can dream up. Plus you can load longer sound files, which is what I did for a timer with my gliders. The countdown for landing is very specific and the talking timer in the 18SZ/16SZ is not enough for that use.

Could you you please explain this? I would really like to incorporate a countdown timer for sailplane landing.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 02-07-2019, 09:36 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by SanJoseDale

Could you you please explain this? I would really like to incorporate a countdown timer for sailplane landing.

Thanks,
Dale

Take a look at page 89 of the manual:

https://futabausa.com/wp-content/upl...18/09/18SZ.pdf

Basically you tap the button that defaults to "Buzzer" to change it to speech. It counts down every minute, then 20, 10, 9,8,7,.....

You cannot change that countdown. I use ot for soaring as well. It cannot be customized to reflect an F5J or F3J/TD countdown.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:47 AM
SanJoseDale

I have an 18mz, not SZ. I thought you were explaining how to accomplish with the MZ.

Dale

Take a look at page 89 of the manual:

https://futabausa.com/wp-content/upl...18/09/18SZ.pdf

Basically you tap the button that defaults to "Buzzer" to change it to speech. It counts down every minute, then 20, 10, 9,8,7,.....

You cannot change that countdown. I use ot for soaring as well. It cannot be customized to reflect an F5J or F3J/TD countdown.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 AM
FUTABA-RC

Sorry, I get lost in the Zzzzzzzzz. You quoted a post about the SZ, so I got lost!
For reasons I cannot explain Futaba has not incorporated speech into the MZ timers.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:53 AM
FUTABA-RC

I'll add that you can do a custom timer count down and load it into the MZ as a sound file. Then just turn it on with a switch.
BTW - I am primarily a soaring guy. I know you've been conversing with Darwin Barrie, so feel free to ask soaring questions you might have.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:29 PM
SanJoseDale

I'll add that you can do a custom timer count down and load it into the MZ as a sound file. Then just turn it on with a switch.
BTW - I am primarily a soaring guy. I know you've been conversing with Darwin Barrie, so feel free to ask soaring questions you might have.
Thank you, I was actually asking about the sound file idea, but looking at the manual, seems straight forward.

Dale
Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 PM
FUTABA-RC

That's what I mean by a custom timer. You can record one yourself and upload it or use some of the available versions floating around. THere are also several that are available as apps for both iPhone and ANdroid .

And you're flying gliders now?? We don't score take off, but we most definitely score landings!! And harshly, but not on style!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Bill,
I believe there should be a “Fuel” counter in the Futaba system at the very least for the 18MZ. Several Xicoy products have this and its a vastly more complex system than what Futaba needs to do. Simply put we RC pilots use timers so as not to runout of fuel, be it gas, kero, glow, or electrons. The products I rely upon in my turbines use the fuel pump voltage to accelerate or decelerate a counter and the telemetry display is a fuel percentage remaining on board. They are initially set up using a variable factor to allow for different size engines etc. using the same or different pumps. None of this is very complex, quite simple to set up too, and after a flight or two the variable is adjusted to ultimately yield accuracy well within 5%, which is way more accuracy than we require. How tough could it be to have a counter in the 18MZ that is variable rate changeable and mixed to the throttle stick, with a display on the Tx screen? Seems simple enough, but I guess there are factors of which I am unaware, because I have been suggesting this to Futaba for several years, without response.

Anyway thought you might pass this along to the powers that be...
Thanks,
Len
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 AM
FUTABA-RC

THis has been asked for a few times. So far Futaba has not implemented it. But I'll keep banging the drum!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

THis has been asked for a few times. So far Futaba has not implemented it. But I'll keep banging the drum!
Thanks Bill, maybe this will be the time they listen!
Len
Old 11-12-2019, 11:14 PM
Bryanrc

Originally Posted by Len

Thanks Bill, maybe this will be the time they listen!
Len
I have a 32MZ on order which after reviewing the manual still does not come with a timer that has speech option. I wrote politely on the Futaba USA web site 32MZ forum asking
will they be addressing this speech timer which so many people have been asking and 12 hours later they deleted my post ! Any answer good or bad would have been appreciated.
Nice way to treat your customers Futaba !
Old 11-13-2019, 06:16 AM
SanJoseDale

I would love to see this added to the MZ. I have spent a lot of time to get the .Wav file into the TX as an option, it isn’t a good alternative. It just won’t play loud enough and when the .wav file is playing, it displays the player menu only, it will not return to the main menu while the file plays. I’ve had to go to an external timer.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:35 PM
FUTABA-RC

For reasons I cannt comprehend the 32MZ does not have a speech timer. FutabaUSA has been made aware of this by numerous people. No idea if, or when, Futaba Japan might change this.
The following users liked this post:
tiger800 (03-28-2020)