Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:54 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I am going back to bed.
I don't blame you! Rest well!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:05 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I am going back to bed.
Pleasant dreams my friend.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:50 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

It becomes time for every man to admit he just isn't what he used to be!...............my time has come and went, the water main break was being worked on by my handyman, while I attended a swapmeet which I will speak to shortly,
I assisted my handym with finding and ucovering the pipe but the elusive leak tokk some serious digging. please understand, this soil is black clay that I swear contains CA, it sticks to everything and when stepped on is like walking on grease, being wet as it was increased it's weight. but I did get the pipe cut and attempted to assemble it and for the like of me could not get it aligned enough to go together, so I cut a longer piece and started over but I was so tired from laying in the cold mud I couldn't do a thing I was so tired my whole body was shaking. so I called a younger friend and he got the job done for me. well you would think things would settle down but noooooooooooooooo! the mower I used to pull the tool cart battery went flat and luckely I had it charging from my motor home generator, when it finally got running it move about 100 feet and would not move another inch, mind you I am at least a 1000 feet from the house, so my daughter had to tow me and the mower home. (I have deleted much of what really happened because it would take to long to tell) bottom line is I am so sore.................

Now the swap meet! we were blessed by the state comptollers office because someone said we were not paying sales taxes, a lot of people had to fill out sales tax permits. they were there all day friday, It put a damper on the event
I am going back to bed.
Wow, sounds like one of those kind of days. Hated those when young, hate them even more now. Wait, they charge sales tax on swap meets? Thats just not right, do they show their ugly asses at garage sales too?
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In Nebraska back in the 1970's my Mom did craft work made Ragity Andy dolls , Knitted sweaters ect. When she would go to craft shows there would always be a government person there checking everyone's tax license. I know it cost more to pay that person there than they collected.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Comes to us all Donny.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:32 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Well between the tax man, nonrunning lawn mowers, broken pipes, missing roof shingles, fallen arches, arthritis, aching backs, leaking bladder, cuts bruises, the sniffles and what have you I am still here, just to pooped to pop.
I can't even get a full nights sleep.

But the swapmeet was productive, I bought a bird of time glider twenty minutes later I sold it a 50% profit. then bought three servos for $30 bucks and saw a ad for the same three servos at $240 bucks, purchased a electric motor (old timers) for one dollar but he made me a offer I couldn't refuse, so now I have a lot of motors, all new in the boxes. they have a 6 to 1 gear ratio. I'll find some kinda use for them.

I am going to stop typing and go up to my shop hoping to make a little progress,(wishful thinking)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Well Donny just to cheer you up...

Old 01-22-2018, 06:52 PM
acdii

Well Hee HAW
Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkzE23pyME4
Spent time in the shop yesterday, Now a shot of HEE HAW......................................I'm feeling better! HEE HAW is good medicine!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

They were pure corn but they sure were funny though! I started watching on network TV it back in 69 I'm not sure I ws able to get it every year when it went into syndication. The wife didn't get the humor but she's a NY Yankee.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:58 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
In Nebraska back in the 1970's my Mom did craft work made Ragity Andy dolls , Knitted sweaters ect. When she would go to craft shows there would always be a government person there checking everyone's tax license. I know it cost more to pay that person there than they collected.
Yes! that is one example of the wastefulness of our government, some putz sitting behind a desk making too much money trying to impress his superiors by harassing the citizens trying to enforce a law that should never been written.
Typical stupidity! there were over six of the idiots at our meet.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Now, we're not ones to go 'round spreading rumors!
Really, we're just not the gossiping kind!
No, you'll never hear one of us repeating gossip!
So you'd better be sure and listen close the first time!

They don't make good shows like that anymore. The Carol Burnett show was another good one, especially Tim Conway.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:52 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I've some news for you gentlemen. My application to participate in La Coupe Des Barons, ( The Barons' Cup) has been accepted.

http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons

This is a light-hearted competition consisting of the following:

1. A Concours d'Elegance or beauty competition.
2. A five-minute flight along with up to nine other Barons where the object is to hit 1 metre high balsa sticks poked into the ground. The more sticks you hit the more points you score.
3. A pylon race.
4. What the French call a "renard" meaning a fox. In this event a model tows a long paper streamer and your role is to cut the streamer with your propeller. Again up to nine more models may be in the sky at the same time.
5. A limbo event where you have to fly under a tape which is three metres above the ground.

The attrition rate is enormous and you are only allowed one model.

I will have to build another wing as ailerons are banned. It's an event for three channel models only and my next task will be to order some wood and covering material. I may even change the engine and fit either an HB 21 or an Irvine 21. Both engines date from the 1970s and you get extra points for using a period engine. I have been awarded the competition number: 247 so will have to get that cut and placed on the fuselage.

There are still five places left if you fancy a go! Mind you it's held at a location which is a five hour drive from here. Nothing to you Yanks or Aussies of course.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:58 AM
karolh

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkzE23pyME4
Hahahaha, that was a nice touch.....sure hope it helped.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 AM
donnyman

Telemaster
That Barons cup appears to be the kind of event I would enjoy the most, just plain fun, The events around here lately is set up to increase the size of the club treasury, they even increased the members dues well over $100 a year, and that will increase soon I was told. I lost interest in being a member of that club quite some time ago.

I have a plans built ziroli 3 channel Morane Saulnier that would fit into that event just fine, it could roll with any aileron bird It is now well over 40 years old. (my hangar queen)

Enjoy the event and have much fun!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:04 AM
karolh

The events around here lately is set up to increase the size of the club treasury, they even increased the members dues well over $100 a year, and that will increase soon I was told. I lost interest in being a member of that club quite some time ago.
Unfortunately this seems to be the norm more and more these days and club memberships especially for the older generation have suffered because of it.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I've some news for you gentlemen. My application to participate in La Coupe Des Barons, ( The Barons' Cup) has been accepted.

http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons

This is a light-hearted competition consisting of the following:

1. A Concours d'Elegance or beauty competition.
2. A five-minute flight along with up to nine other Barons where the object is to hit 1 metre high balsa sticks poked into the ground. The more sticks you hit the more points you score.
3. A pylon race.
4. What the French call a "renard" meaning a fox. In this event a model tows a long paper streamer and your role is to cut the streamer with your propeller. Again up to nine more models may be in the sky at the same time.
5. A limbo event where you have to fly under a tape which is three metres above the ground.

The attrition rate is enormous and you are only allowed one model.

I will have to build another wing as ailerons are banned. It's an event for three channel models only and my next task will be to order some wood and covering material. I may even change the engine and fit either an HB 21 or an Irvine 21. Both engines date from the 1970s and you get extra points for using a period engine. I have been awarded the competition number: 247 so will have to get that cut and placed on the fuselage.

There are still five places left if you fancy a go! Mind you it's held at a location which is a five hour drive from here. Nothing to you Yanks or Aussies of course.
As tempting as that may sound after checking my wallet for the needed funds I discovered only moths who have died of starvation so I guess I'll have to pass.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

This is what happened in 2012.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

The two guys with red cross jackets and the stretcher to pick up the carnage cracked me up!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:16 AM
donnyman

Some folks still know how to have a good day of just plain fun that's my kind of event.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Here's the Coupe des Barons from 2016, strictly photos, gives many good shots of the Barons in action, many different colour schemes and motifs.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Flicker

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A non R/C blast from the past!

Hi all,

Here's a couple from Frank Macy that he reproduced in the late eighties.
The rubber band for the Interceptor folding mechanism was rotten; replaced it using
a thin wire loop to pull a new one through the aluminum tube.

Will need to make patterns before any flights!

Bob
p.s. wish I had a 1/2 dozen or more!
p.p.s Jim Walker was a genius!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	732.3 KB
ID:	2252159  
Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 AM
acdii

Looks like the Limbo was a *Smashing* good time.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:10 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Flicker
Hi all,

Here's a couple from Frank Macy that he reproduced in the late eighties.
The rubber band for the Interceptor folding mechanism was rotten; replaced it using
a thin wire loop to pull a new one through the aluminum tube.

Will need to make patterns before any flights!

Bob
p.s. wish I had a 1/2 dozen or more!
p.p.s Jim Walker was a genius!
I can remember when those were the cutting edge and I couldn't afford them for many years! when I finally flew them I was amazed at how well the flew.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Here's the Coupe des Barons from 2016, strictly photos, gives many good shots of the Barons in action, many different colour schemes and motifs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLMHA0ANe8k
Even Snoopy made the event, (he gets around)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.